Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Extracting A Broken Tap

robk

I have to go with robk.

I have used the ball carbide to machine taps out of stainless. the flat bottom seems to break down and shatter the em.

I would try a .075 ball em about 1500 rpm. and crank down by hand using the .0001 step pulse handle. if you can get it on a bridgeport then you can use some feel on it.

just take it easy and it will cut.

I have had to use the chemical "tap out" a un..few times in SS with great success. The draw back is it takes a long time and it will dull the ss where the acid comes in contact, but nothing that cant be removed with some 600 grit sandpaper. It also works faster if you heat the part up and clean out the hole and refill it with tap out often.

you have probably thought about this already, but... take a carbide blank (max. dia. that will clear side wall and give rigidity) then in a deckel S.o. (or surface grinder with a diamond wheel) make a spade drill at bottom to drill out tap(step down dia.at bottom). you can see carbide spade drills to "copy" in most cutting tool catalog. I make mine in surface grinder as have not found deckel cheap yet. (Union Butterfield tapping fluid is incrediable in SS steel, Asheville,NC 28813, its cheap...)Good luck

Kevangel, that is exactly what we're gonna try first thing tomorrow. Got some 6mm carbide blanks x 100mm long. Stick them in the carbide grinder and we should be good to go. I know that a couple will probably snap, but so what. I'll get that SOB out yet. Thanks for all the input guys cheers.gif

I still want to play a mad scientist though biggrin.gif

I have a small portable edm tap buster. Takes about 10 minutes with a brass tube electrode or with graphite tube. Uses water soluble oil as a dialectric. We never break taps (tsh tsh) but customers come in with broken studs, taps, easy outs (I call these hard outs), frequently and we charge about 40 dollars. It's an easy and lucrative way to make a living as opposed to cnc machining. No stress! However, we only see 1 job a week. So I end up machining stuff to make groceries.

+1 to Kev.....

Done it many times on a Bridgeport.....drill out the center and bust it out...

The deeper the tap goes, the more heat will be generated by friction on the sides. Use about 2k RPM and some kerosene when it glows ...use peck smile.gif

I had to drill out one just the other day for the guys here, no one here ever saw that before...heh