Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Questions to ask job applicants

EZ3PUTT

I should have posted this several days ago but it didn't dawn on me until last night to ask the experts in our field. We will be conducting interviews for machinist positions starting at 9 am today. I would like to hear from my fellow forum members some of the questions you might ask these candidates.

Definitely not an easy task finding the right candidate. Depends on what you're looking for. Entry Level, some experience, or a lot of experience? Some of the questions that I ask are;

Do they have a basic machining knowledge?

Do they have their own tools if required?

Can they read blueprints (have a print handy)

If you're a mold shop. Can they read mold prints?

Do they know G codes?

Can they read measuring instruments?

Mastercam experience?

Any other CAD/CAM experience?

Why did they leave the last place of employment? It's a bad sign if they start bad-mouthing their last job.

Can they work overtime and/or weekends when needed?

Out of time now, but good luck with the interviews, and hopefuly you'll find the right person.

If I was hiring for machinist positions I would want to know:

1.What machines they ran in the past, or what qualifies them.

2.Years of schooling

3. What kind of cad experience they have, can they draw in solids or 3d?

4.I would try to find out what kind of team player they are! Knowledge dosent do any good if it isnt shared.

5.are they willing to work overtime?

6.why did they leave their last job?

I know some of these are obvious questions, but they are questions I would ask.

Hope this helps and maybe the other gurus can add to it!

Brian

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

What's a CNMG? (For turning guys)

Get a simple Blueprint and ask them how they would approach making a part.

What kind of Tool Chest or Box do they have.

Ever hear of eMastercam??? biggrin.gif

What is one of the differences between 304 and 304L?

Do you belong to any of the several Mfg. related trade organizations?

ez3putt, All of the above questions are good to ask job applicants. I would also suggest a simple math test. We implemented a basic math test to screen candidates. During an interview I let the candidate do most of the talking during a walk through the shop. It is interesting and sometimes surprising what the candidate will say when not sitting in an office.

All good questions.

If you expect them to know some programming,

Printout a short program that has been edited to include a couple of mistakes. G41 with no D, omit G43 or G80. Ask them to review it and see if they see anything wrong.

In addition to the tech questions ...

+1 on Robk's bad mouthing the old job point.

along those lines

What did you like most about your last job ?

What did you like least ?

quote:

Ever hear of eMastercam???
biggrin.gif

and if so.... what is your member name wink.gif

I'm with James on the simple drawing scenario. Just allow the applicant a few minutes to study a fairly simple part drawing, then verbally tell you step by step how he or she would approach the job. You'll learn much from this little exercise and possibly save yourself some interview time if the person doesn't have a clue!

I would also delve into the 'team player' aspect since that is one of those important intangibles which may separate a good employee from a great employee. For example: "Would you have a problem if you were assigned to a project along with several other people, or do you prefer to work alone?" And then as a followup: "If one of the more experienced people were put in charge of that project, would you have any issues with doing what that person directs you to do?" The answers you get from these questions will tell much about a person's willingness to work closely with others without conflict.

Lastly, it helps if they can make a decent pot of coffee!! biggrin.gif

EZ3Putt,

I've had a few of them myself, Better than a 4 putt though. (Sorry I could not resist)

The best questuion I ever heard was,

How fast do you run an Edge finder?

I know it is a simple question but it gets some great answers, One guy told me 5000 RPM, That was a very quick interview, One question one wrong answer, See Ya later!

--------------------------------

+1 on Robk's bad mouthing the old job point.

along those lines

-------------------------------

I wouldn't consider bad mouthing bad if it's done constructively. Alot of employers will make alot of promises and blow alot of smoke up you arse to get you in, Then 4-5 months down the road nothing changes and you wind up in a position that you didn't want and wish you would have taken the job at the other place you interviewed. It's happened to me more than once. These are the things I will bring up at an interview and it hasn't hurt my chances of getting a job.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Kevangel. Attitude is so important - have any of you worked with a master machinist who had a rotten attitude? Makes life hard for those who have to work with him. Of course you also have to have the technical experience to keep the job. You just can't get by with good looks and a sweet disposition.

These are some good questions - I like the 304 and 304L and to mix it up, ask what the 12L14 and 1214 differences are...

If I remember correctly, the 304 is a food grade series stainless and therefore the 304L must be the Food Grade Leaded series (for improved machinability... wink.gif )