Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Expanding mandrels

specv

quote:

its closed on the top and it is sand cast, i dont think its tapered

If it's sand cast then there must be some taper otherwise the center core will not readily separate.

Perhaps an "ID" operation should be added to allow for a concentric mardrel support. Machining would allow for consistancy which is rather difficult even with investment cast.

Just a thought.. cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

I there is not an option to add another op right now. I am going to probe this part for offsets so location is not really a problem this part weighs about 100 lbs. so i want to reduce handling. I actually have some mandrels here but they are not big enough and they do not have a name on them. i will take a picture and see what you guys think.

If i cant find these mandrels then i will have to use a 3 jaw chuck, which will be cheaper for me anyway since i have sacrificial chuck, right now i dont have anywhere to host this picture, photobucket lost my info, so i will have to create a new account.

With a Casting, Why don't you make your own adapter to fit on the mandrel unit pictured above. Use some carbide grippers on 6 Points (3 Top and 3 Bottom).

My suggestion anyway. There is an expanding 5C collet style of a tool from Royal Workholding and I think that Hardinge has some as well. 5C may not be robust enough to handle what you need though.

if i could do that i would McRae, but this is a picture of another fixture we already use, i was just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this or knows a brand name. I have one brand that i looked at and it was N.A. Woodworth but they didnt have this style.