Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

UG cam VS MasterCam

neil qwerty

Andrew - some concerns from our guys that you're pointing people to Pro/E and UG in your side conversations. On it's own, we of course can't control that, except that you're making these connections on our Mastercam forum, which makes me feel a bit used.

Any reason that you can't have this discussion up on the board so that we benefit from your criticism?

Slow down cowboy - I have acted as an advocate for all three pieces of software and for the benefit of the manufacturing communiuty as a whole, I will share my experience on the strenghts and weaknesses of the software that we currently use. I don't point in any one direction - only the right tool for the right application. If the right thing to do is spend $60K to solve a problem in the entire system then so be it.

For example, we are using Mastercam extensivly for the programming of simple contours and simple prismatic drilling, we are also using the wrapped tool paths for roughing complex screw profiles (and I might add that this function is not available in either Pro/E or UGNX) The contrast is that Mastercam doesn't handle multiple surfaces nicely and generate a nice clean tool path on a rotary part as well as UG does - but the UG algorythm - though robust - will take a month of sunday's to calculate.

I like the Parametric abilities of Pro/E and the way this flows into the manufacturing side to the point of the CLData - unless someone deletes a feature then the structure falls apart and you need to attach references like mad.

If you feel that my experiences is not warrented to the furthering of you own cause, then I will consider myself "Locked Out" of the community and ask to be removed from your forum.

Your response was great - thank you. I'm asking that we use the discussion forum as a discussion forum.

Looks like we're having a discussion now.

Although this forum acts and feels like a general manufacturing community, it's a Mastercam forum. That's my cause, and the unapologetic focus of this site.

Neil,

Speaking from current knowledge. I am just getting into UG. I have already spent almost 10k in training classes alone and that does not include travel and lodgings and food. Never mind the time spent actually trying to get comfortable with this software.

Impressions of the software.

It most definitely does NOT offer the ease of use that MC does. You guys who complain about the number of mouse clicks to accomplish a task, have NO IDEA whatsoever about how bad it could be. Well maybe some you do. bonk.gif

Now what will it give you?

I feel that it does not offer the toolpath control the MC does, it is clunky and cumbersome to navigate. With that being said it does seem to calculate things a tad faster and I must say the verify in UG is nicer and more usable than the version offered with MC.

I know we are not supposed to disuss price so I will leave out specifics but lets just say a comparable seat of UG to Mill Level 3 with solids is going to set you back about 2 - 2 1/2 times the cost.

I am sure other people will say they feel differently but going thru this at the moment this is where my thinking is at.

HTH

I don't think this is the place to ask about comparing Mastercam to other Cad/Cam packages.

You will get a very bios opinion.

Most people here get there nose put out of place if you say anything negative about MC. Which I understand seeing this is a MC forum.

There are positives and negatives for all Cad/Cam packages. At the end of the day Budget and the type of work YOU do will be the deciding factor to which package you purchase.

Peace cheers.gifcheers.gif

Thanks for your replies, maybe I should explain why I've posted this question. We are a tool and die shop that is currently in the process of moving from 2d Autocad designs to 3d UG solids designs. I've been using MC since version 3, somewhere around 14 ago. For the past 10 years I've been programming full time using only MC (and Cimkink before MC had a reliable multisurface tool) for toolpaths and surfacing. We have never had to send a job out because MC couldn't do the job. I find Mastercam to be very quick at processing large surfaced files and I can't imaging spending large sums of money to be have a system that processes 10% quicker.

I have not done much in the way of machining plates (2d) from a solid model and was wondering how much time would be saved by machining it in UG vs MC.

I realise this forum will tend to be a bit biased but from what I've read most folks here will tell you the way it is. I have spoken to Andrew in the past and will probably contact him again as well as In-House.

Don't get me wrong, I love MC, it's simple yet powerful and it currently works for us, but if the right thing to do is make the switch than that's what we will do.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Neil.

quote:

I have not done much in the way of machining plates (2d) from a solid model and was wondering how much time would be saved by machining it in UG vs MC.

I havent used UG at all but I can't imagine it would save you much time for prismatic milling. Just make some edge geometry from your part file (if it isnt there already), chain it, and bam. Quick and easy toolpath.