Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Controllers

Robby GM

Just on  a side note ,Cycle 19 is very old school , it 's  PLANE  nowdays.  Some of the machines  are  set up so that  calling cycle 19 will make the machine behave  like it has RTCP on, so by simply setting up  the work plane , depending on where your spindle is you might hit a  linear axis  limit (as there might  be linear displacement) .  With PLANE you have  control over that by  specifying  either TURN or MOVE .

Gracjan

• Like 2

For production:

the machine is a code reader. It should be user friendly and common, both in numbers of units out there and in the code it reads. You are much more likely to hire people who can at least read the code  on Fanuc/Haas/Yasnac machines than Mazak or Okuma.

For tooling / one off / prototype:

you could make an argument for a machine with a conversational system. I ran a Dynapath full 3D conversational machine back in the early 90s that could do a lot. I hear Siemens has a full 3d conversational and Okuma can also do a lot. I can still program faster in Mastercam and be programming the next part while the current part is running and get a faster production rate than using conversational. The virtual software with verification (mastercam is good at this) is too much of an advantage, and of course then you can run it on any machine.....and you have a mobile source program.

On 8/14/2017 at 3:18 AM, newbeeee said:

I wish Fanuc would do what Haas do and allow embedding of internal sub progs, but that would be copying someone else and I think they're a little too proud to do that...

You can do internal subs with a Fanuc...   Just needs to be 16i/18i (roughly 2000) or later.  M98 Q#### jumps to N number.  Need to look at parameter 6005 bit 0 (SQC) (31i), if you set it to 1 you can call a sequence number with the sub call.  So you can call to a different program and sequence number or if you omit the p it will call internal.

I think its the same parameter on a 16i/18i, but you will want to confirm.

• Like 1

I like the early fanuc like the 6 and 11 m. You could throw it in single block and edit the next line without a reset.

The gtech has some nice features, like if you stop and move the table, it will move back so long as you don't hit reset. But the Siemens tech would battle that thing every time he came it. It also has a little lag and a couple guys have deleted tools from the magazine from pushing buttons too much

I used to hate manual guide I but since the matsuura defaults to it I have started to like it. I use it on the over fanuc controls too

7 hours ago, JParis said:

It's a poor tradesman who blames his tools

I disagree in some respect to this John. If you have run shopturn on a lathe and then have to run one with manual guide, you will want to beat the control off the machine with a pickaxe handle...

9 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

You can do internal subs with a Fanuc...   Just needs to be 16i/18i (roughly 2000) or later.  M98 Q#### jumps to N number.  Need to look at parameter 6005 bit 0 (SQC) (31i), if you set it to 1 you can call a sequence number with the sub call.  So you can call to a different program and sequence number or if you omit the p it will call internal.

I think its the same parameter on a 16i/18i, but you will want to confirm.

Husker - the (bad) point i was trying to make regards file management - save a prog in fanuc and you have to remember to dump all the subs too. Loading the prog in the machine with all the subs within it is great - outputting only really works with the 0-9999 providing only the progs to do the job are within the control...  

11 hours ago, newbeeee said:

Husker - the (bad) point i was trying to make regards file management - save a prog in fanuc and you have to remember to dump all the subs too. Loading the prog in the machine with all the subs within it is great - outputting only really works with the 0-9999 providing only the progs to do the job are within the control...  

You can output a range, say your programs are O1000-O1010, and output just those, same format as 0-9999, just the start and end program numbers instead of 0 and 9999.  But my point before was that you can have all of it in O1000.  Then when you punch you get O1000 which can have internal subs similar to Haas.  Your subs would be after the M30 but will just be labeled with N#'s there wouldn't be an O in front of them when loading into the machine.  This of course requires that you use this convention all the time.  This wouldn't capture special macros, but the other method wouldn't get those anyway usually.    This is one reason I like the related job punch screen on yaksawa robots,  it will essentially reads the program and punches out every program the program calls or uses in order all under one file.  Pretty slick feature.

• Like 1

I only have experience with fadal, fanuc, haas, fagor, yasnac, okuma osp and a few off the wall ones not even worth mentioning.

I really like the power and versatility okuma osp brings to the table even tho i have hardly touched its full capability.

Fanuc has always been very good as well.

I believe those two mentioned have their own brand servo's too and that brings some serious benefits.

fadal and haas did a great job of user friendly.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:01 PM, mig said:

Okuma and  Okuma the best .You just have to know how to use it and you love it

I haven't ran alot of different controls but okuma osp300m has been my favorite so far. Its a little slow for me but I button mash like a boss. Used to be all fanuc based stuff before this machine and there isn't a huge difference in code.