Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling a curve with lollipop in Mcam8

Lars Christensen

Hi guy's

I am hopeing one of you guy's can help me out with this one.

I have a couple of angular cross holes breaking into some cavety holes, leaving a burr. My plan was to get a lollipop cutter and make a 3-D toolpath, but it do not look quit right to me in mastercam.

I have upload a zip file to the FTP site called

CHAMFER-Lars. It contains 4 Mcam files, 3 of them are costumized tools.

I created the first couple of toolpath to give a better idea of what I am trying to do, the 3D toolpath looks like what I need some training on.

Thanks

Lars

Mcam 8.1.1 Level 3

Kiwa Horizontal 4-axes w. Fanuc 18i control.

Lars,

I looked at it yesterday, but I wasn't sure what you were doing, or the intended result, and it looked like you needed a 4th axis program, which is not my strength.

Am I not seeing something in the drawingor misunderstanding your intent?

Kannon, I got to disagree we you on the expertise subject, I would apreciate if you would take a look, email on its way.

betts, I am not sure what I am doing either smile.gif

When the crosshole comes thru, it is leaving a small burr, as of now the operator has to go in with a knife looking tool, and remove the burr. I was thinking that if I could come in with a small lollipop cutter and get that burr out of there.

I was hoping that in some imagenarie world that Mastercam somehow could help me calculating the cutters path, if it means that I got to get all 4 axis going at the same time, it is ok with the machine it can do it.......I just do not know how.

Thanks guy's

Lars

Lars,

I looked at your files this morning and came up empty. The 3D contour (not surface contour) would gouge the part. I think it would require a 3D surface toolpath, but can't figure out which would make such a cut. Murlin, Zero, Iskander, or Crazy Millman are a few names that come to *my* mind when thinking of complex 3D toolpaths. I'm sure others could help. Those names just stick out in my head. Heck, Iskander could probably tell you how to it on the lathe! eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Someone has asked a similar question before about chamfering angled (breakout) holes. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. frown.gif

Thad

Jimmy is there any changes that you could send me the Mcam 9 file with toolpath? (got demo9 at home) so I can take a look at your parameters, I have been fighting with this for 2 hours, and though I get something that looks usible in backplot, it is not looking right in verify.

I guess this is why people actully takes classes in Mastercam.

Sorry to be a pain.

Lars

Lars,

Looked at your file and I'm not sure which way to go. Only thing I can suggest is that you run finish passes for the tools that are going in those holes.

i.e. bore the big holes, drill the small holes, then bore the big holes again then drill small ones again. That will knock a lot of the burrs off, and might make it easier to deburr them by hand if that's an option.

HTH

Rekd,

Thank you so much for taking a look at my file, right now I am re-running the big drill through again, problem is that this a production job, and time is as always money. There are some other parts that have simuilar holes that the operators have a very hard time seeing the burr, were I verly would like to do it with a endmill.

This is all for long term production, so if I have to spend some time creating surfaces and so on, it will be fine, what would also give me some training in Mill level 3, what would not be a bad thing at all biggrin.gif

Thanks

Lars

i havent looked at your file, but we just use a lollipop cutter big enough to do the chamfer all around the hole ie.. if the hole is 3/8"dia then use a 5/8 lollipop and just go straight in on center (we find.. a little off-center as the cutter will deflect)

of course this depends on the size of the bore you are going into smile.gif

Lars I kinda like your 3-d contour I was wondering if you could just offset the big hole surface a few thousands (inward) less than your lollipop cutter than project your drill hole onto it in the same plane as drilled hole center line. Then use that for your 3-d cotour. I hope you are following what I mean if not I will try and get something tomorrow. Cutter would have to be programmed off the center of the ball.

Hi Lars, how are you doing on this project today?

I think Jimmy has the best approach. Create a tiny chamfer or fillet surface and surface toolpath it. You should be able to use a ball mill and not need a special lollypop.

I think a flowline toolpath on the chamfer surf could work well. You might consider backploting the flowline toolpath, saving as geo, then select one path and do a 3D contour of it so that you have only one spin around the burr.

Good luck....

Hi Bernie,

I havent had a changes to play with this project the last two days, have been working my but off getting new parts approved for production. Hoping I can get back on it monday. I verly apreciate all the help I am getting from you guy's, thank you so much, and I am deffently are going to post back om how I am making out.

Lars

Ok, I need to seak some help, I am waiking up sunday morning at 6:00 pm, my only day off, and what do I do?

I get in front of the computer and start playing with demo9 I have installed here at home, I can not believe I have come to that stage of my life.

Well, the good news is that I got alittle closer to the finish line and have got some surfaces created and made some toolpaths, I just need to play around with the different setting in surface toolpath, and I think I am on my way.

To be continued.

Lars

Bernie, and can not express how much I apreciate it. cheers.gif

Jimmy, Well now were you are asking biggrin.gif

I uploaded a file on the FTP call "Chamfer-Lars-Attempt".

What I did was creating a C-plane in the line of the cross hole and scale/translate the spline, for there after creating a sweep surface, the result is a very chopped up surface, that I at 1st. might thought had something to do with my grafiks card at work, so I brought the file home and can see it did not get better in demo9, so that is a problem that I need to figure out. Also I created a scallop and a flowline toolpath, just to check things out, but when I use verify in both Mcam8.1.1 and demo9 the result is the cutter is staying away from the surface.

I am sorry still bugging you guy's, but if someone has time to look at it I will make sure that there will be plenty of cold beer you get near this part of the world.

Thanks

Lars

Lars,

quote:

the result is the cutter is staying away from the surface.

That was one of the first things I tried was creating a surface over the port hole. I had the same result... tool never wanted to touch the surface. I tried cheating the stock to leave also with no luck. Still trying...

cheers.gif