Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How It Works In X

Charles Davis

This thread is devoted to questions about how things work in X compared with v9. If you don't know how to do something in X that you used to do in v9, ths is the place to ask.

PLEASE; don't hijack this thread, go off on tangents, or whine.

Ask a specific question, and someone will reply with a specific answer. If you want to complain about how a specific thing works, start a new topic.

This is meant to be a constructive and informative thread, and I think the topic is very relevent for many of you folks that are just now getting X and are feeling a little frustrated because you don't know how to do the things you used to do.

Let the education begin.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to ask before I have really tried to figure out something on my own, but since I haven't found it yet, and figured I would get this thread started off, how do you create a circle 3 points?

I can make an arc 3 points no problem, but I really liked being able to creat a full circle from 3 points on top of splines when I need to.

Regarding making a circle 3 points.

Randy, use the "Create Circle Edge Point" option. It is the third option on the circles and arcs drop down and can also be accessed from CREATE -> ARC -> CREATE CIRCLE EDGE POINT...

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Jay

Charles

Is there a difference between coons and net surfaces? I thought coons were now *called* net surfaces, meaning they are replaced or the same thing.

The chaining seems easier with net surfaces. I don't need the curves to be the exact length, like I used to have to break splines with coons surfaces. Now MC finds the intersection and creates the surface (net) accordingly.

Thad

- The resultant shapes do appear to be similar, but I've not tried any tests.

When I created a net surface from a 3D wireframe of a spoiler [similiar shape as an airplane wing, sort of] and then created a coons surface with the same geo - the Coons surf appeared smooth as always but the net surf appeared rippled. As if the shading tolerance needed to be turned up, but turning up the shading tolerance had no effect. In summary, from this part design - coons surfs are smooth as usual, whereas net surfs were not.

All other designs so far using net surfs look great.

Now here's my question as to this topic matter:

Can we still select, for example, create/line/endpoints/and then select endpoint. Then click on the line nearest an endpoint you want as the 1st endpoint selected?

Coons vs. Net Surfaces...

The biggest difference is in the ease of selection. With the new Net Surface, you do not need to define each 'patch' of the resultant surface. The curves don't need to be broken at their intersectsions. In almost all cases you can simply use Chaining's 'Window' option to easily select everything.

Another difference is in the quality of the surfaces. A lot of work has gone into making sure that they are not over-defined by thousands of control points, and that twist in the resultant surface is minimized.

Tips

To change the attribute of geometry, just right click on Attributes or a specific attribute you want to change (color, line style, etc).

You will be prompted to select the entities that you want to change.

Pick them and then End Selection (I put End Selection on my Right Mouse Button menu).

Mastercam will bring up the appropriate dialog, select what new attribute you want, and then OK.

Tip:

To fillet, just move the cursor near the corner to fillet. You will see a preview of the resulting fillet. Just click once to accept.

If the preview isn't what you want, then click on one of the entities.

If you still don't see the result you want, then click on the second entity, and it works like V9.