Sign in to follow this  
Lucky

Offset Contour - linearization tolerance

When offsetting a contour containing splines in version 9, the linearization tolerance affected the accuracy of the resulting line segments. In X I do not see a setting for linearization tolerance and I am getting unacceptable results with whatever default it is using. I'm about to use v9 to offset my curves then merge them back into X to finish the job, but thought I'd check with the gurus before giving up.

I played around with the various tolerances available in the system configuration but could not get any improvement. I got the job done by chaining the splines as contour toolpaths, setting the linearizarion tolerance in the machining parameters to 0.0002", then backplotting and saving as geometry. Lots of extra steps. I hope someone can point out a better solution if it exists or address the issue in SP2....

quote:

Try the system tolerances in the configuration

The Curve chordal deviation is supposed to be controlling this - but it's not.

This is scheduled to be addressed in MR1

BTW, There are no more SP's scheduled for X.

They will be MR's (MR = Maintenance Release)

So in other words functions that just don't work won't ever be fixed for people without maintenance? What about people that aren't upgrading from 9? Do new customers pay thousands of dollars for a new software and then find out they have to pay thousands more just to get it to work? I'm not talking about software improvements, I'm just talking about software usage. I can't even start using the software because two key thing I use either don't work or function horribly compared to 9. Engraving isn't even engraving anymore after sp1, and using surface finish radial on any slightly complicated surface takes minutes where it used to take only a few seconds. Really we have a choice, keep up with maintenance, or don't use X.

Roger,

Thanks for the answer. I personally would still like to see a tolerance setting available within the offset contour dialog so that adjustments can be made to suit the task without altering the system defaults.