Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

11 Axis CNC Machine?!?

turtlepower

quote:

We recently had a new employee start working at our shop, who claims to have worked on an 11 axis cnc machine.

It is a CNC machine.

That's why I asked if you asked him what kind of machine.

There are lathes out there at 8 axis, so I assume a custom built machine could exist with that many axis'

Or his definition of what constitutes an axis could be a little "off"

Was the machine a Hydromat?

Did he work at Dana in St. Thomas?

The hydromat is a high production machine that takes days to change the setup but spits out lots 'o' parts, hardly compares to a 3 axis toolroom mill. Those 11 axis only do one thing, kind of like a screw machine 6 spindles and 2 or three cross slides per spindle thats like 18 axis. Seriously though any more than 5 axis and there is some redundancy there somewhere IMHO.

Allan

• Like 1

quote:

Was the machine a Hydromat?

Did he work at Dana in St. Thomas?

The hydromat is a high production machine that takes days to change the setup but spits out lots 'o' parts, hardly compares to a 3 axis toolroom mill.

We have about a dozen Hydramats and they do spit parts out like nobody's business. We're talking parts by the hundreds of thousands or millions.

They do take forever to setup but man can they make parts. They are similar to rotary transfer machines and at each station heads move in and work on the part. I guess you could consider them 8 or 10 or however many axis machines but not really in the same sense as a regular mill or lathe.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'd guess a Hydromat, Screw Machines, etc could be that many axes. headscratch.gif

X - 1

Y - 2

Z - 3

T/C Arm - 4

T/C - Magazine - 5

Spindle - 6

Rotary A - 7

Rotary B - 8

Z Quill - 9

So really 11 is not that far of a stretch as you may think.

Our Nakamura is a 9 axis machine:

http://www.nakamura-tome.co.jp/English/Eng...g/bEng/NTJa.htm

and they do make 11 axis as well:

http://www.nakamura-tome.co.jp/English/Eng...g/bEng/NTXa.htm

In fact, alot of manufacturer's have them. Mori and Mazak offer them as well. These are NOT screw machines, and are Mill/Turn machines. You are going to see these alot more in the future, and I'd bet Haas will offer something along these lines within a couple of years. The CAM companies have finally started to "catch up" with these machines, and once they do, everyone will be manufacturing using them. Especially if you have multi-sided parts that currently require 2 or more operations to complete. We have one part that use to require 2 separate turning operations, and up to 5 separate milling operations coming off this machine complete. The material is bar fed automatically on the left spindle, and than machined, transferred over to the right spindle and machined, and than automatically picked up and dropped onto a conveyor outside the machine where it is dropped into a container complete. It really is amazing to watch.

I've got a bunch of pic's if anyone cares to see it in action.

• 12 years later...

A rollomatic 620xs & 629xs has 8 axis, and there 6000xl has 9 axis but there 628xw and 629xw has 10 axis! Axis X, Y, Z, A, B, & C are your standard movements and then you have U, & W, which is the robot forward and back and side to side (also V, on 6000xl only, which is robot arm up and down) then on 628xw and 629xw you have what they call a wheel change or carousel in and out of machine is axis UW, and rotation of carousel is CW! I've been running these for over 10 years and this brand and the Walter's brand is the most axis I thought there could be and the XW model came out recently with the UW & CW axis and I thought 10 was a lot. So I'd call this guy out on the 11 axis!!! I think hes pulling your leg 🤔

On 10/16/2005 at 4:44 AM, mats_asson said:

We have a Traub TNL 26 with 13 controlled axes.

Main spindle: z and c

turret 1: x, y and z

turret 2: x and y

Counter spindle: z and c

Tools for front work on main spindle has its own z and x

tools for back work on sub spindle has x and y.

Thats 13.

Mats

U can't count the same axis twice even if there used by separate tools...

1 hour ago, RollomaticMan628 said:

U can't count the same axis twice even if there used by separate tools...

You can, if the machine component being driven uses a separate motor. XYZ on an upper turret is not the same motion as XZ on a lower turret. They both have a 'Z' Axis, but can move independently.