Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Finish V9 first

mayday

thats where I dont get it rolleyes.gif

it is so close to perfection. mr05 fixed almost everything. all of us long time users I think will agree with me??? X is the same ol thing this dont work that dont work. remember the first release of V9? I dont have time to start back to square one.

If I pay maintanance I want 9 fixed also. dont force me to use X, that may force me to look elsewhere.

bottom dollar is making chips, FAST

if I want shiny Chrome I'll ride meh Harley

quote:

ya know what I have noticed about these complaint threads? new members are speaking up for once.

Of all people,I have to commend you Wes on this one.You have to respect the people who 'have' been using it for a long time.

I cannot say that I have 'Put my seat time in' like I did on the earlier versions,but the few thing that didn't work in X just made me shy away from it!

As I have stated in earlier threads,I don't have the time to spend....I gotta keep the shop running..and right now,I can do that flawless with 9.....

Thanks Bucket wink.gif merry xmas

im disapointed. all that hipe and maint. costs to get slowed down. I have been trying to use X for about 2 months now. and I dont see any improvement over 9. dont make sense to me

CNC better realize what sold there product.

ease and speed. people complain about the old DOS interface rolleyes.gif

think about it kids remember windows 3 or win 95?? been how many years and windowz still sucks. is that what you want in Cam software? Im 44, to hell with hipe. get the job done is what I have to do

its prolly best I didnt become a bete tester even tho my reseller pushed for me to do so.

I'd get banned frown.gif

whatever

MR0105 was the last V9 release.

Microsoft will no longer support Win2000

after June 2006.

Time and software marches on.

That means all the big boys, SolidWorks, AutoCad

Catia etc etc will no longer support Win2K

next year.

I suspect that means Mastercam will quit supporting Win2K next year too.

I know guys who still use V5 and V6. Its gets the job done and they're happy with it.

That doesn't mean Mastercam should contine spending money on V6.

V9 is an old release now and theere will not be any more money spent working on it. People

can use it for the rest of thier lives and never spend another dime on it.

We should be grateful Mastercam maintenace is

not like CATIA.

If you let your CATIA maintence contract expire for 3 months , you can't renew it.... you have to repurchase the solftware at full price. Talk about a pack of thieves mad.gif

quote:

its prolly best I didnt become a bete tester even tho my reseller pushed for me to do so.

I understand that the owner of Axsys didn't want any beta testers in Michigan. That came from an Axsys salesman.

V9 is pretty solid, but to say it's "close to perfection" is a bit of a stretch. I think we're all just used to the workarounds and have used them for so long that it's become "the way you do it."

After using MCX for the past 3 months for ~60 hours a week, I'm not any faster in V9 than X. In fact, I'm probably slower. Along with the hotkeys, V9 made you quick in that even the features not used frequently were still there within 3 inches from your last mouse click. Now, you have to do a little more hunting.

V9 also had a lot of things available to set as your own personal defaults...and they worked. It seems that if I let me session of MC sit for too long, I have to reconfigure my stock colors and values when in verify (to STL). There were some parameter pages that I didn't even have to look at because I knew the settings were just like I wanted them. Now I have to got over them and make sure. That slows me down.

I've been a loyal MC user since I started using it in early 2002. I've even been accused of "drinking the Kool-Aid." I still love MC and would rather not switch to something else. I don't hesitate to praise it and lately there have been some things that I haven't hesitated to bitch about.

Overall, I'd say that MC is no longer the simple to use, easy (read quick) to learn software that it used to be. With V9 or earlier, you could take someone who had never seen MC before and have them doing simple 2D toolpaths in about an hour. I don't think you can now.

On a personal level, I hope all is well with you, Wes. We'll have to get together again for a couple "pops." Merry Christmas to you and yours! cheers.gif

Thad

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I understand that the owner of Axsys didn't want any beta testers in Michigan. That came from an Axsys salesman...

If that's true, that's pretty lowdown. Wanting to keeping their users out of the loop on development... :shakehead:

NEWS ALERT...NEWS ALERT...NEWS ALERT...... Software is NEVER finished.

quote:

Hey I know.

Maybe Ford should go back and finish the Edsel.

To a lot of people on this forum X is like the Edsel. Some lofty ideas just havn't panned out for X.

Some people have rose colored glasses on and will never admit to any of the problems. The X interface is clumsey and not intuitive. Just because something is new doesn't make it better. I am a fan of Mastercam, but I hope some of the interface gripes from the forum are addressed or X might be compared to the Edsel in years to come.

quote:

I understand that the owner of Axsys didn't want any beta testers in Michigan. That came from an Axsys salesman.

I find this VERY hard to believe!!!

I am an Axsys customer and I am also a Beta Tester for them. Not for Mastercam but another software. I have been a Beta tester for Mastercam in the past.

Part of being a beta tester is letting them know the problems with the software. If you just use the beta software and don't report any problems (because of not having time or whatever), you will quickly be pulled off the list of Beta Testers.

quote:

The X interface is clumsey and not intuitive

That is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. I like the X interface and I'm more productive with it.

But then maybe, I just need a lighter shade of rose colored glasses rolleyes.gif

quote:

That is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. I like the X interface and I'm more productive with it.

I know that CNC can't please everybody all the time. But my sentiments are not unique, there are many who feel as I do about the interface.

I guess I should invest in a good pair of rose colored glasses and be happy. smile.gif

Well Mayday, I wish they had put a few more features 9 also. I bet the developers all did a little dance when they finally got to dump it.

The same thing will happen to X. It's just the beta of CNC's first Windows based version of Mastercam.

Such is the software business....it is always in a constant state of flux....

I am not a software developer/computer programmer.

I could care less about the particulars of the software, I just want it to do what I tell it too, I don't want to know how it works.

That was the beauty of Mastercam, and it is why I started using it in the first place.

When I started using CNC's I didn't know squat about it.

I bought a machine, acquired a seat of Mastercam, and the first day I was able to have instant sucess. The software was in tune with my way of thinking already, I did not have to adapt.

Things are a little diffrent with X....

But I am adapting....

quote:

V9 is pretty solid, but to say it's "close to perfection" is a bit of a stretch. I think we're all just used to the workarounds and have used them for so long that it's become "the way you do it."

I agree, it seems that work-arounds become habit, and eventually you forget how the software is intended to work.

quote:

It's just the beta of CNC's first Windows based version of Mastercam

That's not a very fair sentiment. This release should have happened years ago. And if CNC Software didn't think they would get this kind of resistance, it probably would have.

quote:

But I am adapting....

That would seem to be a key element of success, regardless of what color the lenses of your glasses are. Good for you.

quote:

dont force me to use X, that may force me to look elsewhere.

X is the future of Mastercam, I would think things will move forward not backwards. The more time you spend improving how you use X, the better you'll be able migrate to what ever comes next.

I doubt any other package on the market will be an easy transition either.

JMO

quote:

quote:

If that's true, that's pretty lowdown. Wanting to keeping their users out of the loop on development... :shakehead:

quote:

I find this VERY hard to believe!!!

OK guys, you caught me. I made it all up. NOT! biggrin.gif That's what I was told by an Axsys salesman.

There was a guy who I attended the MCX Transition Course with at Axsys that claimedd he was a beta tester. When I told him I didn't think there were any, he said that in the past, he always sent stuff in to CNC Software when he found problems. He said he was contacted by Mark Summers and offered to make him a beta tester. I can't verify any of this. It's just what he told me.

I can't believe some of you are having such a hard time with the new interface. It's different, but the concepts are still the same. I can't believe that you can't function with it. Many people who are using it now, including myself, simply started using it. I have a new job to cut and I'm using MCX to do it. Period! I didn't slowly work my way into. I just did it. I don't think I'm alone on this.

Thad

quote:

I didn't slowly work my way into. I just did it.

Some of the stuff I work on may have 4 to 16 weeks of work into it by the time its done.

I did not have the balls to start learning X on a project of that magnitude.

I started out easy. I'd use V9 to machine the part

and X to build tooling, prep the fixture etc.

That way if I had a problem and had to start over in 9 cause X was kicking my butt, I wasn't loosing weeks of work.

I am confident enough with X now that I don't use 9 for anything now.

+1 to Gcode

With the work I do, a days delievery is sometimes all it takes to loose a job.

Hell, most of the time the job goes from the back of my truck, right to the table of the CNC and I started engineering the job and programming as I went along...most of the time I am cutting chips from day 1.

So Thad, it's not that we are having to learn a new interphase, it's that we don't have the time to jack with it.

But I do not have a problem with X, I like the tools it offers and so far, since I took the slow approach, the transition has been a painless one...

I will continue to fall back to 9 until the day comes I do not need to anymore. That day is soon approaching me thinks...

But I have no future plans to delete 9 from my computer...

+1 murlin,

in the not to distant future we will look back at this as a growing pain. I know guys who still don't use the toolpath manager. It seems almost unthinkable to me because I started using it in v7. when only 2d toolpaths were associative. Solids were being developed about the same time and many of the old programmers I know still havent learned that yet.

My point is ,we have the choice of when we learn X. If you wait a year X will be more advanced but you will be a year behind.

I am sure the new program will evolve into things that the old one never could.

Mastercam got us this far and our options are wide open, but just remember."Last years Mastercam is still better than this years Gibbs".

Billy

In response to Thad's assertion about Beta testers in Michigan.

We are current Michigan Beta Testers and Former Axsys Alumni but will stay out of the Michigan dealer Policy discussions for obvious reasons.

The only thing we can add is that we are very actively involved in extensive Beta testing in Michigan but we also do significant supporting product development to support CNC software directly in Conn. Many Many good things are coming for the X Platform so stick with it guys! What you have seen is just the beginning. You'll see soon enough. biggrin.gif

Happy holidays to Everyone on the forum

Chuck Beckas