Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Warning-not all boundaries are closed....

PBpaul

XMR1 Mill3

I have a couple of 2D arches that look like "C" nested next to each other about 2 inches apart, one a little larger than the other and connected on the ends to form a pocket that looks like a big "C" outline. When I try to pocket this out, I can't get the boundaries to chain all the way around. If I chain it by selecting each single part, then I get a message that says "Warning- not all boundaries are closed. Select Open Pockets or close chains." Problem is, these are drawn endpoint to endpoint and so I don't see how the chain is not closed. If I select all the entities and tell Mastercam to join them, then it says "Some divided entities, which are not connected but which are based off the same original entity have been found. Do you want to close the gap and join them?" If I say "Yes", it draws a line all the way across the ends of the "C" shapes which is nuts. I tried to analize the the chain and it says all is fine. I'm guessing there must be gaps but I can't figure out how to find them and/or fix them.

Thanks- PBPaul

Are you sure they all reside it the same plane? You could try squashing it or give the iso view a quick look.

If you analyze chain, does the chain start where you click it? Does is chain all the way around? Don't use partial chain when trying this. If it doesn't start where you click, try zooming in (way in) to the start or end point and see if there's a gap. If you don't see one, move your mouse over the geometry and see if the geometry flickers. If so, you probably have entities on top of one another. This will cause a branch point.

You could also make sure you're in the right construction plane.

Thad

Thad:

If I analyze, it starts where I click but will not chain all the way around. I cannot see a gap, however.

I think I figured out that the problem might be that this was originally drawn in Rhino. If I erase some of the lines and draw them back in exactly the same place in Mastercam, then it chains correctly. I can draw something in Rhino like this and connect ends together using lines that snap to endpoints and so forth so there is no question that there should be no gaps, and one day it works fine and the next, it won't. It does not seem to matter if the Rhino is saved as an IGS or if I use Mcam to open it directly. Either way, there are gaps happening somehow. I hadn't thought of squashing so I'll try that.

Thanks- PBPaul

I found Squash but that didn't fix it. I finally just deleted the entities and drew them again in Mastercam, as Chris suggested, and they worked. I can draw two ellipses in Rhino and draw legs off the ends and connect them and bring it to Mastercam and it chains fine. If I do the same with Half Round arches, Mastercam trips up the chaining. Just for the heck of it, I tried grabbing one of the arches and one of the lines (in Mastercam) and just simply joining them. Not a good idea.....some of the entities simply disappear. On a positive note, I have noticed in the MR1 release that some of the Rhino issues I brought up, such as missing Layers/Levels, have been fixed. On the other hand MR1 Backplot gives me grief on the simplist things whether they are drawn in Mastercam or Rhino or Autocad. I guess that needs to be another thread.

PBPaul

• 12 years later...

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum, I am trying to engrave some letters. I selected letters in MasterCam (2018) and then copied lines across the letters at a 45 degree angle and .050" spacing. I then trimmed the excess lines using "divide/delete". When selecting, I use window, and can select all the open and closed chains. I realize that sometimes "connected" lines are sometimes not so, but I am wondering if there is any way to make open chains closed, or ignore the fact that they are open chains?  I apologize if this question has been answered already in another post. 

Dan