Sign in to follow this  
MIKE_B

Workholding

Hi all

Is there anyone out here that has used the mitee bite pitbull clamps? I am looking to possibly use the smallest size available.

Link

Or if anyone has used something similar I could use some suggestions.

Thanks

Mike

Try a forum search for mitee bite; I think I remember this topic

They work very well, use them all the time.

I just used them to run a 4 axis tombstone type job. The 26030, worked the nuts.

I haven't tried the pitbull clamps but I do use the mitee bite fixture clamps and like them alot.

try 45 degree dovetails in the part .06 deep on each edge of the raw stock and then reproduce the same thing in your jaws... used to suspend ali blocks on a tombstone that weighed up to 35 lbs and we could cut from every direction except the back...when going to little parts we just made little jaws to replace the ones in the vice with .025 in depth and got great results...no parts were physically abused or thrown around in this promotion

lol

Thanks for the tip Jack...just not using jaws for this application. I am going to fixture a bunch of parts on plates

quote:

Spade

Do you deal with the local rep at all?

I am pretty sure that our buyer goes thru Reid Supply Company.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I spec Mitee Bites all the time and they do work great.

+1 on the inverta-bolts. It requires some prep work on the block ahead of time, but they work great for window frame machining. Its a great way to hold parts that have no straight walls for clamping.

-Colin

Mitee bites are a pretty good product. Just becareful with the uniforce clamps. You can put to many on a fixture/tombstone. If you start putting to many up with the combined force of them all will start to bend your fixturing/tombstone.

Jim

quote:

If you start putting to many up with the combined force of them all will start to bend your fixturing/tombstone.

Hehe - did THAT one!! The center raised up about .012 across a 36 inch fixture (now where did those middle hold-down bolts go to??????).

The pitbull clamps really shine on parts that you need to hang onto by a small portion of an edge and you want to hold a bunch of parts at once. They can be a pain on a vertical mill because of the pockets that hold chips and cutting fluid - even when you take the time to cut "channels" to allow drainage. They are great on a horizontal - all the chips and coolant just fall away.