Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cannot extend trimmed edges surface

Jimic

Cannot extend trimmed edges surface ???

While working on a imported Solidwork file. I cannot use surface extend to extend out the surfaces for profiling. It shown ""Cannot extend trimmed edges surface ""

How can I overcome tha? Is that something to do with the Solidwork file ?

Jimic,

Unfortunately this is one of the disadvantages of working with surfaces in Mastercam. There are ways around it. What's you ultimate goal with the surface extension? Is it to allow for tools to machine past the surface edges? If so, take a look at the Gap settings of a surface toolpath and put a value in the Tangential Line Length. This tangent value is similar to a Lead In/Out vector except it's tangent to the cut direction. If you're trying to do something else, maybe you could be a little more specfic or upload the file to the FTP site linked above and then we can be of more help to you. HTH cheers.gif

BTW, Welcome to the forum. biggrin.gif

Jimic,

Click on the Gap Settings button frequently on the last page of the surface toolpath parameters. See pic below.

20zad4z.jpg

On the Gap settings, the Tangent line length is at the bottom. It will be active unless you use the Follow Surfaces motion for machining over a gap. See next pic. HTH cheers.gif

20zadmb.jpg

For Mcam X Mill Level 2 this is still available because you can machine one surface at a time with one operation. The Gap settings don't change due to your Mill level. You could have a hole or "gap" on one single surface as well as the edges that you need to machine past. The pictures above are taken from a Surface Finish Parallel operation. biggrin.gif

Another method you can use is to un-blank the original surface. Whem Mcam builds surfaces from a solid it first creates overlapping surfaces, trims those surfaces, and blanks the original, keeping the trimmed surface visible.

I will usually copy the original surfaces to another layer, re-blank the original, and then trim the copied surface to the size I want it to be.

You might need to check your surface creation settings to make sure Mcam is blanking the original surface and not deleting it.

I use Paul's method probably 9 out of 10 times.

I just create a ruled surface from the original edge curves and extend to where I like. wink.gif

Storky is right too, but sometimes when you untrim a surface like a torroidal, you get the whole thing and it is HUGE! eek.gif

My next preferred method is to adjust the gap settings. wink.gif