Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"Save as" to a specific network folder

Gramby

In MCX when we do a "Save As" is their a way to default it to a specific folder. Rather then always having to click thru all the network drives and folders till I find the folder where it belongs.

Example: if I convert MCX files to a .Iges file for wire department its a pain in the @$$ to click thru all the folders.

I know their must be a slick way using windows or a setting in MCX config.

Under "Settings", click Configuration, then under Topics click "Files". You'll see a list of file types under Data Paths. Look below the Data Paths list, you'll see Selected Item, which is the default folder for the file type highlighted in Data Paths. You can use the button to the right of Selected Item to select the folder you want to use.

Someone else will probably know a better way, but I've used this to set up a different folder for my files. HTH

Thanks rnb1 I looked and I had already had that set to desinate to another network location where I get my files from engineering. Guess I might be out of luck.

Here is another problem how can I do a "Save As" and save the file as a V9 file for are machining/lathe centers who still use Draft 9 for analyizing. In other words I want to do a File Save As and save as a VER9 and have it default to a specific folder without clicking thru drives and folders.

I assumed a answer to my first question would also solve my 2 nd question. But I don't think so because under Settings, config. ,files, data paths, a ver9 selection is not available.

Are you asking how to save a file in X as a Mastercam v9 or another type of file? When you save or save as, look under the file name, you'll see "save as type". There's a list of file formats you can use to save your file, but it will save it to the default location set in the configuration unless you change where it saves. Refering to deckerc's suggested above, click the button in the top right corner of the "save" dialog box. It gives you some options you may be able to use, such as saving to a project folder, if you have one set up.

I know how to do a "Save As" and I do it often saving as Ver9 and IGES. I am looking for a quickway as to not have to click thru the numerous network drives and folders as to where the file is to be stored at.

2 problems my config, files, data path, iges is set to a file for which I read design files. So I do not want to change this. So I have accepted the fact that I am out of luck on this one. Ideally I want to read Iges from one location "design dept" but write to another "for wire dept".

Second problem , their is not a Ver9 data path under Config,files, datapaths. Thus setting up a default is not possible when saving files as Ver 9 from MCX. At least it appears to me.

If their are any window gurus on here I think what can be done is that you can map a network drive folder and when you do a Save As in the folder drop down menu you will see this folder. I think this can be done, but not sure how.

Does anyone else have a slick method?

To use mapping you need to open explorer, got to Tools menu and select Map net work drive... Then peform actions in dialog. This will add a new drive to your explorer. You then can put a shortcut to the mapped drive in any folder you want and only be a double click away. I think this would be troublesome way to do it though. You can just add a shortcut to any folder you want and get same thing.

HTH