Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

YRGENT: Job Stop need feed and speed for slittng saw.

Jimic

Last week I post a message regarding feed and speed for a slitting saw. I have to stop the job because the Saw came out from the holder. Now I have to design a holder with key to fasten it properly.

Material : A2

Depth : .150"

Lenght of slot is 1.00" but I have to mill 700 slots !!

Tool: Screw Slotting Saw HSS

Dia: 2.25" with 60 teeth

Thickness : .0625

I could not get a Carbide tool because too expensive and also I wouldn't get it in 3 weeks. But, the job is running now

I was runnung RPM S100 and Feed F1.5

take .05"/cut to .150' deep. It sound heavy and the tools came out of the holder after milled 2 slots

WHAT IS THE CORRECT SPEED AND FEED ?

THANK YOU !!!

Last week you wanted a .032 wide slot x 400 places. This week you want a .0625 wide x 700 places. Because you are now up to a .0625 wide slot I would not use a slitting saw. I would now resort to a 1/16 carbide 4 flute endmill.They come in 1/8 and 1/4 flute length. Not sure if you can get a 3/16 flute length. I would consider trying to use 1/8 flute length and let the shank rub or try to releave it. Or use both a 1/8 and 1/4 flute length.

I would create a line down the center of the slot. Use a contour ramp toolpath at .005 - .015 step down and no comp. Run the cutter at 10,000 RPM and 25 IPM feed approx. .0005 - .001 chip load, with air blow.

Saw: Globus

2 1/4 x 0.064 5/8'/60

hss 5-745-160

a spring loaded holde with different washer sizes. kind of screw the washer againt the Saw.

Now I designed a holder and press in 3mm dia dowel pin on then key way as a stop against saw rotated.

I'm more concern about the FEED and SPEED.

If you thought it originally sounded heavy then I would override your feedrate and try to work up to F3. But yes, program it at 3. I am not in favor of increasing to 4 passes. I would like to see you do it in 2 or preferably 1. Taking 4 passes will take 4 times as long to complete this part and cause 4 times as much tool wear.

Maybe the sound was your poor holder or possible the direction of cut. I think we have heard over the past week that people are split 50/50 whether to climb or conventional cut this.I tend to be in favor of climbing.

quote:

I am not in favor of increasing to 4 passes. I would like to see you do it in 2 or preferably 1. Taking 4 passes will take 4 times as long to complete this part and cause 4 times as much tool wear.

I second this. I can't ever remember not going full depth on any slot lest than .375 with .062 thick saw. remember that getting ahead with HSS saw is cut once, your saw dia. is fairly small so rigidity is not an issue. Just go for it. hss surface footage is 40 to 60. run on high end and you will be just fine or do like Mr. Bana says and use cbide. Good Luck

Finally I could sleep soundly while the machine is making chips.

I would like to thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for the support while I am in deep *hit.

Espcially,MichealJ,Gramby.MayDay,htm01,Tim Simmermon,MarkBana, terry5357 and others for the good advices and support.

REPORT:

Material : A2

Depth : .150"

Lenght of slot is 1.00" but I have to mill 700 slots !!

Tool: Screw Slotting Saw HSS

Dia: 2.25" with 60 teeth

Thickness : .0625

Holder: Homemake with keyway to prevent Saw rotate

Using CLIMB Milling, one pass with full deep. Speed S102 Feed, F2.0

It cut the cycle time 60% Now it take 1 minute per slot. cost less then $1/per slot. If EDM that will cost $35.0/slot !!!

THANK YOU