Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machining aluminum without warping

Bob W.

Assuming you bought it oversize, I would rough it out and then finish machine it, with stock having been takin off both sides, etc. I never have stress relieved alum.??? especially T6 which is heat treated grade. Have straightened some alum. parts in hyd. press...(I would use flood coolant and sharp cuttings tools also)

Bob,

Any chance we could get a look at the shape of that part. While I agree the vast majority of time you can do it without stress relieving it, I have had exceptions. Just finished machining one of them and I have a 3 piece order coming up that will require the same process. The customer is actually requiring it, they have provided a very specific stress relieving process.

What kind of flatness tolerances are you looking to hold?

Must your part be inspected in free state or a restrained state?

That part, .25 thick, is going to want to warp, if you can machine one side to clean and flip it over to machine the rest. With thin parts like that it is critical to take stock off of both sides.

Also if you do have a little potatoe chip going on with your part. You can do a little hand tweaking. Setup some 3 point jacks. Inidcate right above the jacks, and set them all to 0 on the indicator. Now you can move and indicate around the part to see where surface is not flat. Apply a little force and check again. We had to do this back in the day making actuator heads. Not the most glamorous way to do it, but end results are good.

Also sharp tools are a must.

Dont use a vice imo, If you must use a vice to hold your part. Get a torque wrench so you can repeat the same amount of force from part to part. I would make a fixture and bolt it down wards though.

Jim

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Rough except for facing, release, face. ROugh the other Side except for facing, release then face.

Your part should be completely flat, then finish as normal. This worked for some NASTY 7050 Hand forged crap, should work for 6061 which is easy except for being so gummy.

You mean the bondo from the part or the part thats bondoed from the machine? We machine small aluminum wings all the time and warpage is allways a problem. We use bondo to hold lots of hard to hold stuff and it takes a little work to remove but not bad. We've used Saran wrap between part and Bondo where we couldn't afford to have problems removing Bondo.

We've determined that 7075-T7 stays the most flat of any aluminum we've tried.

quote:

Trevor,

While I find the idea if using bondo quite interesting and ingenius, the heat from the bondo curing doesn't cause any issues?

If you spray the part with primer, the bondo comes right out. If you leave enough material on the 2nd(flip) side, there will be no warping from the "kicking" of the bondo. Depending on how big your part is also, you do not need to completely bondo the entire area. Apply a thin layer, add other blocks of aluminum to help take up space. Apply a little more bondo. By using filler "blocks", this will also cut down on heat by not having to use so much bondo over a large area.

• 16 years later...