Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machining aluminum without warping

Bob W.

Ok, 16 years later I'll answer my own post.  Use a vacuum chuck and before laying the part on the chuck, place shim stock at strategic locations so the part will have the least deflection when the chuck is turned on.  Also, starting with grained Kaiser plate is a huge help.  Like someone else (Hardmill?) said, rough, flip, rough, flip, finish, flip, finish.  Also, use really sharp tools and watch them closely throughout the project.  The instant they begin to show any sort or wear replace them.  Sharp tools help a great deal to prevent warpage but sometimes its baked into the material and unavoidable.

When I made my original post I think I had been at it for a few months.  Now I have 18 employees and all we do is aerospace work.  I have a letter hanging on my wall thanking my company for our part in the effort of getting astronauts launched from US soil again.  I credit this forum with having a huge impact for me getting from point A to point B.  Many thanks!

• Like 3

When I made my original post I think I had been at it for a few months.  Now I have 18 employees and all we do is aerospace work.  I have a letter hanging on my wall thanking my company for our part in the effort of getting astronauts launched from US soil again.  I credit this forum with having a huge impact for me getting from point A to point B.  Many thanks!

Yeah but you threw harder back then I bet. 

• Haha 4