Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

creating a 3d chain

Bill Mellander

I am trying to draw a chain which I can use as a tool path to cut a form thread tool. As you know a form thread tap isn't round, but has sort of a squared off profile. I have the profile drawn from 4 indidual arc sections creating a closed chain, but cannot come up with a way in which to create a helix that will follow it. Does anyone have any experience creating this sort of geometry? Is there a way to drag the end point so it begins and ends on the same x and y coordinate but changes z height in regards to the pitch so I could just copy the geometry? Maybe I'm not approaching this from the right angle, any insight would be appreciated.

-Bill

[ 11-20-2006, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Bill Mellander ]

I way overthought this, I've always used toolpaths/next menu/circ tlphts/thread mill for cutting internal threads in round geometry, but never knew you could apply that to any closed chain and cut threads externally. As this circle is sort of elliptical I am having trouble understanding how I can create a helix that follows it's path (as the helix/spiral function just creates round geometry).

"Contour - ramp - compensation off

Backplot - save as geometry"

I'll look at this too, thanks span.

I was almost thinking I would have to creat a solid of the contour, create the helical geometry inside the solid and then draft them, although it was just an idea, I'm not sure if it would have worked.

Thanks for all the help, I'll get back to it.