Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Question For Former SmartCAM Users

jon_banquer

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have smartcam V11 and I only use it to output our very old part geometry so I can bring it into X2. We made the switch to mc v9 and had a few guys that missed the toolpath editing. there were way more features/toolpaths that are much more time saving. If you really want to edit toolpath then make a path output that as geometry. then use that as your toolpath chain. I do this all the time with facemilling routines.

I know this guy from Alt.machinescnc.com newsboard

I remember him from long time ago.

Jon .Is it you ?

If you are the same person,you had the hard times with a couple of other clowns ,flooding the board .

Which Cad-Cam better ?

Just cut it !

Do you job the way your cad-Cam handle it`s better .

Wow ,what the flame wars I recall .

I was sick of it 7 years ago ,now you start it all over ?

I used smartcam when it first came out in mid 80's I beleive. Mastercam has so much more to offer there may be some things each do better but mastercam wins hands down.

solids, surfaces, save toolpath as geometry,

I do multiface, multipart work on cell systems and have for years I have had no issues except some translations between faces, But if you think ahead and program accordingly you can overcome that to.

Time to make code, setup sheets, and change or update geometry "shartcam" doesn't come close!

Time to make code, setup sheets, and change or update geometry "shartcam" doesn't come close!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rick.

That`s good point

But I got the conclusion that this guy is pure theoretic

kinda know it all about everything .

He flooded the board with threads which cad better and why NEVER USING IT MAKING PARTS .

wHILE i WAS WORKING EVERYDAY MAKING PARTS ALL MY LIFE ON MANY cAD-cAMZ aND always making good parts

FAST .

tHEN THIS GUY WHO tired everyone with this flood of spam and couple of other guys who answered every his post in a negative way became busy flooding board with a spam in such a bad way that board was paralized .

I will answer only Masrercam specific questions

kinda how to do this ....

I will think twice before repliying at all

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How many remember the fight at Westec

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jay .I hope you was not hurt .

As for Jon and all that Piglet said I was waiting for his arrival .

looks like he was outcast from Alt.Machines....

Not moderated board this Alt.mach...

For Jon - WE ARE MODERATED BOARD WITH STRICT RULES !

yOUR THREAD IS A THREAD FOR OFF -TOPIC FORUM BEEING PURE THEORETICAL AND HAVING NOTHING IN COMMON WITH EVERYDAY USE OF MASTERCAM .

And please behave yourself and play by rules !

One thing is for sure, wherever Jon Banquer is posting there is sure to be problems.

Do a search for his name and you'll see what I mean.

Hey Jon,

quote:

The Forum is for licensed Mastercam users in good standing. You may be asked at any time to supply us with your SIM #. Use of the Forum is a privilege, not a right.

Looks like you're on thin ice already...

quote:

Trust me... lots of people will not be happy that I am posting here.

Correct.

Jay, WHAT HAPPENED AT WESTEC ????????????????

As this is the famous "Jon Banquer" I would like to ask the moderators of this forum to ask him for his sim number. I like this forum and the attitude of most of its members, and I would like it kept that way. We don't need ALT,machine,cnc here thank you..

WOW, what a touchy subject this turned out to be.

Maybe we should just tell Jon that MC doesn't work like SC, because it isn't SC. Period. MC is good,(getting better all the time) and we all make our parts with it. If you want SC, then go buy it!! As for editing toolpaths like geom, you shouldn't need to do this as often as you say, Jon. My brother uses a palleted machining center programed on MC with multiple work offsets with no problem. If you kwon what you are doing, there should be no need to ever edit the toolpath like you say. cuckoo.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Seamless, Unified, Hybrid when it came to how I think a CAD modeler should work...

OMG.... here we go with the buzzwords... rolleyes.gif Are you sure you're not on somebody's CAD/CAM payroll and in here to just stir the pot? I swear I NEVER hear those words from CAD/CAM end users, only sales and/or marketing people...

quote:

...I fail to see why any CAM user should ever be forced to delete the existing toolpath and start all over. I'm sorry... I just can't accept that this makes sense. It seems to me the reason one often has to do this is to overcome a design limitation of their CAM system...

I myself have requested the ability to change one toolpath into another (Ex. Pocket into Contour, and vise-versa). They have laid the groundwork with the HST Toolopaths to make that happen. Obviously that does not work for every toolpath. The types of entities you use for drilling (i.e. points/centerpoints) are not the types of entities you would use for contouring or pocketing, Surfaces don't work as well for 2D Contouring as well as wireframe so in every case it does not make sense but in many it does. It has been requested though.

As for the palleted setup you described, my post processor handles that and WAY more all with programming one single part. The machine heeds to have Custom MACRO B though.

Talk about you laying and waiting to stir the pot as the sand of time roll by. That is all I see from this thread, this person and to me speaks voulmes about the true nature of this thread being started. You know not a damn thing about Mastercam, and sound more like Smartcam's pitch man than anyone trying to gain aynthing other than to make an effort to spark intrest in a software that it looks like the people you work for are trying to bring back. I got an old 386 computer that just does a killer job at playing pac-man. So you know what I think all the new computers that are being made and have been made need to all be thrown away just becuase all of them do not play that pac-man game the same way as that 386. That to me is the same as the BS you have thrown out here. Your limited need shows your limited thinking in the real world of production machining and if you are so closed minded and unexperienced in the real world of machining as to try to focus a products capability on one aspet spells saleman all over it.

I have used it in many different enviorments, fields, and different types of applications and find it to be all the product I will and would every need at its price range to do the job it can do. I have done basic turning, milling, to the most complex 5 axis Vertical and Hortizonal to 5 axis Mill turning. I guess it all boils down to a matter of apporach. If you are use to just slapping and bunch of crap on the screen and then thinking about what you need to do to make the part after you start and the way you should hold it and what tools you should use and then need the ability to go back and fix it everytime after you start then I can fully see where you need the ability you are talking about. Like it was said your A to Z example can be handled very quick and I do tweaks to toolpaths very easy and it can be done graphically to an extent. Apples to apples and oranges to oranges is one thing, but to put BS to X2 is something I think it very funny. I say BS becuase you know nothing about X2 yet you are trying to take an outdated software and make a real world comparsion to X2 and drag it down using a 2% to maybe 5% thing to do it.

Please talk bring up things to dicuss, but to think you are proving something crappy about Mastercam to show us your superior; only shows your true lack of knowledge.

Off the soap box good night.

Cut Copy Paste

quote:

The following was posted to the Usenet newsgroup alt.machines.cnc by a

"Smarmy Dolt" some years ago and shows just how totally frustrated many

production machining job shops are with their lousy CAM choices:

"Hey,Here's a bug-a-boo that's tripped-up all the CAM systems I own and

the ones I have demoed to replace the ones I own. The situation boiled

down to one tool. The reality of it is two pallets, 10 double vices, 20

Work Coordinate Systems (G54x) and 28 tools: Pallet-1 The Front.Tool

One tool cuts on three different fixtures. Each fixture has a different

part in it. Each Fixture has its own Work Coordinate System. G54, G55,

G56 Pallet-2. The Back - Physically a duplicate setup of Pallet 1. The

same tool with the same H/H or H/D offsets cuts on three different Work

Coordinate Systems. G57, G58, G59.

quote:

I'm not sure if I see MasterCAM in my future

Thats a relief.

Jon realy is a smartcam salesman isnt he?

I checked out John's link on the last thread, and that seals the deal for me.

Everyone here seams to like Mcam, so what did he think he would acomplish here? That we would all give it up and switch to smartcam. Get lost!!!!!

Mcam isn't perfect, like all software, but it has one huge advantage to smartcam. It doesn't go away for a while and then turn up again (then go away again?).

I believe Mcam to be a great choise for most shops that do a mix of 2d and 3d work all the time (I haven't used multy axis yet, so I cannot comment on this). I know of shops using 3 different cam systems. ONe for 2d, one for 3d, and one for multy axis. That works for them, but is unpractical for most. Mcam gives alot in one package and when you know how to use it, it works great.

I don't sell Mcam, by the way. I just want that J_ _ _ to stop wasting our time. This is for Mcam users to help other Mcam users.

He is a dealer ?LOL .ROFLOL ! OMG !

Jon is Troll with capital letter T .

He is notorious in many boards for his trolling ,spamming and etc.

He is schizophrenic spam maniac .

Search for his name in Google and see what the bad language his can be when the topic gets too personal

These words sound rather harsh ,and you may not expect them from me ,but I am tired of him .

7 years off trolling for me that`s enough .

I am not defending Jon, even though he comes off as quite negative. But, he can ask any question he likes, he may get flamed but he can ask. Toolpath editing is something many people do. Some CAM softwares can do some neat things with toolpath editing, usually because their toolpaths don't have provisions to complete many tasks otherwise. I think we all would like Mastercams toolpath editor to be easier to use, even though it is very functional as is. But because Mastercams toolpaths are very powerful, many people do not even know it's there as there is no need to use it. In regards to all of his questiosn, yes you can do that. Associativity of toolpaths to geometry, toolpath transform and check match existing offsets, sorting options in the chain manager, or even drag and drop individual chains, etc... It's all there, you just have to know how to use it. Many people find that smartcams way of assigning geometry toolpaths is quite restrictive and requires much more work/editing once they use Mastercam. I have never used smartcam for any real work so I cannot comment myself.

HTH