Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis fidia machine

moldmaker10

Does it have a Fanuc Control? I looked at these machine many times over the years hoping someone i worked for would get one. All of my research supported being ale to easily program it with Mastercam just like anyother 5 axis machine on the Market with a Articulating head. I have program trunnion, 30 deg 5 axis Verticals, 5 axis Articulating Hortzional, 5 axis Mill/Turn, 5 axis Routers Articulating Head. I know of many otheres how have done the same and even more different types of 5 axis machines. My point being if these machine can be programmed using Mastercam then a Fida can be done as well.

HTH

We program a Fidia control, but as you said...the post is the key issue. Our standard is an .APT(with a custom post) or NCI file out of Mastercam and a second party post processor. For the most part, it seems pretty simple like the ideal is just to feed it point to point data, so I don't know that a direct post out of Mastercam would be all that difficult.

If the machine is a Nutator head (A & C axes) with a limited C rotary then the logic needed would be difficult to handle the rewind in full 5-axis motion. That is the primary difficulty with our setup. Requires programming it a certain way then detecting rotary overtravels and going back and changing it.

I don't think this scenario would be any different with any other CAM package though.

I used to program for a large HMC 5X with a tilting A on a rotating C. Both axis had rotational limits and the generic 5X post handled them pretty well once it was set up properly.

One trick I used a lot was to use point toolpaths

with different contruction planes to "windup"

the C axis before entering a cut, so it could

make the entire cut with having to retract,

unwind and reenter the cut.

[ 01-21-2007, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

• 10 years later...

We program a Fidia control, but as you said...the post is the key issue. Our standard is an .APT(with a custom post) or NCI file out of Mastercam and a second party post processor. For the most part, it seems pretty simple like the ideal is just to feed it point to point data, so I don't know that a direct post out of Mastercam would be all that difficult.

If the machine is a Nutator head (A & C axes) with a limited C rotary then the logic needed would be difficult to handle the rewind in full 5-axis motion. That is the primary difficulty with our setup. Requires programming it a certain way then detecting rotary overtravels and going back and changing it.

I don't think this scenario would be any different with any other CAM package though.

Hey mls I'm having some programming drama's with our new Fidia . Have you got much know how on Fidia plane shifting "G21 RX RY RZ VX CY CZ " ? 

• 7 years later...

Hello, 

We are having trouble just drilling and tapping, I think we have the surfacing worked out.  Can anyone please send me a Posted drill cycle for this machine.  It's a KR199 6 axis.  We are working with Axsys but having trouble figuring out how to drill and tap properly with the post???

Thanks,

On 4/15/2024 at 7:24 AM, Frank said:

Hello, 

We are having trouble just drilling and tapping, I think we have the surfacing worked out.  Can anyone please send me a Posted drill cycle for this machine.  It's a KR199 6 axis.  We are working with Axsys but having trouble figuring out how to drill and tap properly with the post???

Thanks,

When you reached out to FIDIA what was their response?