Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

quote:

How many of you guys posting these 5 minute times reran the benchmark to get these low times? The last time we went through one of these benchmark deals, it was found that if you run it a second time it was a lot faster because everything was in the cache.

I can't believe that there is such a difference in these times, with the computers being so close in spec. There is no reason for the xeons to be twice as fast with a program like Mastercam that doesn't take advantage of dual processors. They do have a little more cache on the chip, but this isn't really proving anything....

opened file, changed tolerances to .0001, and hit regen... 5min 50sec

You can watch all 4 processors work on the task manager as it regens... pretty cool.

Homemade Dual Xeon Workstation

-Intel S5000VXN Workstation MotherBoard

-2xIntel Dual-Core Xeon 5160 / 3 GHz ( 1333 MHz )LGA771 Socket L2 4MB

-4G DDR II 667MHz Intel Validated RAM

-2xSeagate 36G Serial Attached SCSI Drives

-Nvidia Qaudro FX3500

-XP Pro 64 Bit

4min 52sec for the Metric part.

Not entering any pissing contest here, just setting a ref. point for Metric users.

Parameters and tools are different in the Metric part.

Using same part and Hardware, Mastercam config tolerances may still affect the results...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Using Dave's slick stop watch...

11:09.235 (initial)

5:32.06 (after initial)

MCX2 MR2 (Beta)

System Specs;

HP Pavilion zd7000 Laptop (2 1/2 Yrs old)

XP Pro O/S

P4 3.4 GHz w/ HT (on)

1 GB RAM (not sure of speed)

NVidia GeForce FX Go5200 64 MB Video Card

Not a bad time at all considering there guys in here with way more brochure horsepower that are not beating that time eek.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

I'm going to try som more things as well to get it to the sub 10:00 range.

Oh, small tip for you guys wanting to eek out every bit of performace in Mastercam, go to "Settings", "Configuration", "Toolpaths", and turn off "Display Surface/Plane Intersections". This will drop your time considerably because now you're not forcing your system to display more stuff.

HTH

---------------------------------

(My previous post on my work P.C.)

11 min 41 secs

Mboard - D945gntlr lga775 socket

CPU - 3.2 dual core 4mb ht 800MHz

4 x 1 gig Corsair 667MHz cl5 ram

XP PRO

---------------------------------

(My @ home P.C.)

11.57 (inital)

2.07 (after initial)

Mboard Asus P4C 800 deluxe

P4 2.8

2 gig ram 500mhz

XP Pro

-----------------------------

Steve -

Map your regen / temp directories to the ramdrive.

It should be faster on the initial run.

I can't run ramdisk on Vista X64. But it is a major difference on my XP Box if I change the target locations of my temp files to the ramdrive - about 40-50%.

I will do timing tests tonight on the XP machine (it is currently pulling server duty).

Lol, I was just telling a couple guys here last week about the "old days" when I used to run a ramdisk and set my temp files to there, etc to speed things up. That was back in the dos days and haven't tried it again for years. Ram wasn't as plentiful back then, should maybe give it a try again with all the ram available today..

Roger,

If you look in your system32/inf folder there is a ramdisk.inf file already there. I watched as I was building a new box at home and saw this get installed when loading XP Pro. I included a link for anyone who wanted to "tweak" their toys and don't have any money to spend. Kinda like "plug and play" meself. smile.gif

Here is what I use at home.

http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php

Free trial download if you scroll down. cool.gif

Here is what I read on the Microsoft site regarding XP Ramdisk.

Windows XP Update:

Installing the Ramdisk sample driver in a NTFS only machine might make it unusable. To resolve this problem make the following change:

While you call the IoCreateDevice function (RamdiskAddDevice function in pnp.c), change the device type from FILE_DEVICE_VIRTUAL_DISK to FILE_DEVICE_DISK and recompile the driver. After you install the driver, restart the system in order to access the Ramdisk through Explorer.

Warning Installing Ramdisk in Windows XP may render the System Restore feature useless.

eek.gif This should scare most away ! biggrin.gif

John,

Wait till you can buy SSD drives, all solid state,no platters! Bout a 1000 times faster than a regular HDD. Then you won't need Ramdisk anymore. Windows will boot in bout a 1 sec.

MC will gen paths in bout 3 secs. tongue.gif

And the whole Windoze world will wake up finally.

Iowajim, I didn't see any warnings like that for Superspeed's Ramdisc, and it installed in XP64 without problems. Craig says it doesn't work in XP64, and my test showed that. I don't know if it has affected the restore functions....

Craig, I did change my laptops XP system to use the ramdisc, but didn't see any real difference. Is there a setup trick I am missing?

Steve,

I didn't make it clear, sorry.

The warning is for the Microsoft

Ramdisk cuckoo.gif

Superspeed installed no problem for me back in 2003 at home. biggrin.gif I can only hope the new pc I'm getting at work is able to use it. Can't wait to get a seat of MCX and do my own tests. Waiting for the Owner here to sign off on New PC and a New Seat of MC. Quotes are in and I can't wait. Then no more of this "other" cadcam software rolleyes.gif yuck.