Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

PC5300 and PC5400 are both 667Mhz and PC6400 is 800Mhz, sorry bout that. Since you have 4Gb RAM now you should reduce your pagefile size. Some say no page file with 4Gb RAM but I'm not one of them. I'd say reduce to 256Kb - 512Kb.

I'm not familiar with P5KE BIOS but I expect it's similar to my Rampage. Your motherboard gives you several choices for RAM speed that are faster than 800Mhz. You should have 960Mhz, 1066Mhz, etc. in your BIOS but your memory speed must be set to manual to use them. Many PC800 sticks can reach 1066Mhz or faster. I have run my 8Gb of G.Skill PC8500 (1066Mhz) as fast as 1180Mhz.

Sounds like you've got something wrong with your RAM. You'll never have those warnings with 4Gb RAM installed and working properly. In fact some use no pagefile with that much RAM. I have mine set at 512Mb and I get no error. Although I did mistakenly type Kb in earlier post.

If readyboost existed in XP it couldn't help you since you have maxed out your RAM and it is quite a bit faster than any flash drive.

quote:

except that Vista will not support old printers. It won't run the drivers, and you can't get new drivers.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't is more that the drivers do not support Vista because they are not digitally signed and the hardware makers have decided that they don't want to write new drivers but they would rather sell new hardware.

Wouldn't this make it a Hardware manufacturers issue more then a "Vista" issue?

I don't think it's a matter of being digitally signed. Vista seems to think it supports the printer, and will connect to it and try to print, but then it crashes the print spooler. You're right though, that it's more a matter that you can't get Vista compatible drivers for old printers. Either way it's the same result, something to be aware of.

quote:

Wouldn't this make it a Hardware manufacturers issue more then a "Vista" issue?

Thats exactly what it is. They've sold it so no money is coming in from it, why spend money on writing new drivers?

quote:

Can this be done on every computer including factory built Dells

Yes but you have to be an administrator. In XP go to My Computer, right click it then chose properties/Advanced tab/performance settings/Advanced tab/Virtual Memory then select the drive where you want it, type in the min. and max. size (use same number in both) in the boxes THEN PUSH THE "SET" BUTTON and restart. Nothing changes if you don't press SET. You can't go wrong if you set size to 4096 minus your installed RAM. 2Gb RAM should have a 2Gb (2048) virtual memory, 1Gb RAM = 3Gb (3072) virtual memory. If you have 4Gb RAM I'd still put 256 or 512 as pagefile.

I must say something here, I've seen supposedly smart people not be able to change this setting (or other Windows settings) because they were doing an incredibly dumb thing. This setting is about 3 windows deep. They would change the setting then close the windows with the red X in upper right corner. Using that red X to close anything in Windows means don't apply any changes made in that window or any of it's child windows. Click Apply or OK, they are the same except Apply leaves window open, OK closes it.

BogusMill,

I changed the Min Max in the VM to 512mb (Dell Precision M4400). I am assuming that there will not be a significant change in speed, but for SG's I will test it on an Alibre Assembly that is a bit complex in geometry and file size.

Thanks for the information.

One other question.

The PC that I'm on now has 2.5GB in RAM which equals 2560mb. Should I set the VM Min Max to 1024? I see you have other configurations but none with 1/2 a Gig increment.

It is presently set at Min 1536mb Max 3072mb. The Ram Sticks are 2GB with a 512. I know I should get another 2GB stick, but waiting a little longer to get one.

New laptop- 5.000 mins.. straight out of the box with no mods. X3 in XP64

Clevo D901C 17.1" WUXGA screen

Xeon 3370 @ 3.0 Ghz

4G ram

Intel X25M 80G SSD primary drive

500G secondary/data drive

Quadro FX 3700m graphics

Dual-boot XP64 and Vista64

Hoping I can fiddle it down to closer to 4min. The ssd drive opens applications seemingly instantly!

The Xeon is basically the same chip, it just is optimized for server-class duties. Not really any difference for what I'm doing with it- the 9650 is fine for this. I just got it as a basically "free" upgrade. It may last a little longer, but I think that's about it. In a desktop, I think it overclocks better, but in this laptop, the bios does not lend itself to overclocking, so no real benefit in that regard.

Toby, I have never used anything but matched pairs of RAM in my PC's. I've put different size sticks in some PC's because the owner just wanted to surf the internet better, they werent trying to get the most from a particular app or benchmark. So I don't know how much if any gain that little stick gives you but RAM is dirt cheap right now. I saw several pairs of 2Gb sticks on Newegg for under $50. At that price why fool around? Anyway 32 bit Windows can only address 4Gb so if RAM + pagefile > 4Gb your wasting space, if it's less you might be slowing your PC down.

Today I saw a 16Gb G. Skill DDR2 RAM kit on Newegg. The Intel P45 chipset like Matt has and I will soon have, is the only one that supports that much RAM. Now 64 bit Vista Ultimate will support that much but a 32bit XP install would be able to have a 12Gb RAM drive, enough for MCX3, Catia, and Solidworks. The mind boggles cool.gif