Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

11:45

xp pro

2 gig ram

P4 3.2

n_vidia quadro fx 540

BUT......, wat about 1:48, YES, ONE MIN FOURTHY EIGHT SEC

my friend transfered solid model as parasolid to SOLIDWORKS and run SOLIDCAM,

and created same HS toolpaths;

same step, same paramerters, saved it and rebooted.

changed tollerance and regen.

ONE MIN FOURTHY EIGHT SEC!!!!

kota

Just wanted to mention that there are far more variables to consider than just CPU speed, amount/speed of RAM and OS. Hard disk speed being a major factor left out IMO. One of the testers with nice quick times had dual SCSI drives, which is probably another big contributor to the faster regen times. Other factors like software tweaks, windows virtual memory settings, motherboard, the software (drivers) that are running all the hardware etc. are all going to add up to faster or slower times.

Also keep in mind that not all model #'s are equal. When I purchased my Dell M170 laptop last year it had many options for CPU, RAM, Hard Disk and Video that could dramatically change the performance, so someone could get the best of the best available and someone else the lowest and end up with the same model # but different hardware.

For future computer buys I would take into consideration hard disk speed. Do some research on the different hardware available in this area. I think it's often one of the most overlooked components and can really make a difference.

Jeremy,

My Dell M90 was loaded and I'm assuming that it is pretty much the same as Colin's M90 and I scored 10 min 55 sec. almost a 2min difference.

quote:

9min 5sec

Dell M90 Laptop

T2600 processor (dual core 2.16Ghz)

2GB RAM

FX 2500M graphics card

95% Toolpath RAM Allocation

Display surface/plane intersections: OFF

--------------------

Colin Gilchrist §

IRC NC Programming

The Boeing Company

I would consider a CAD/CAM environment to be one of the more demanding settings for computers and it is an area where one can realize a significant savings by assembling their own system. I have done this with my last two computers (with help from friends) and I will never again buy an off the shelf unit, unless it is for my kids.

When I regenerated the file the time was ~6:40 on the first run and I had half a dozen programs open (including ProE) because I was in the middle of work). I saved about $1k by building this myself. Good stuff :-)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66

2 gig ram

Windows XP

Nvidia 1500

Keith,

Have you configured your Graphics card to use the solidworks performance and quality profile and selected the CAD desktop profile? These two settings work like magic on the FX 2500M. The other thing you might want to do is set the affinity of Mastercam to the 2nd core processor. I didn't set the affinity or the process priority for my test though.

Did you turn off the surface/plane intersection display? What are your toolpath repaint options set to for toolpath creation (settings - configuration - Toolpaths - Toolpath display during creation)?

Colin,

quote:

Have you configured your Graphics card to use the solidworks performance and quality profile and selected the CAD desktop profile? These two settings work like magic on the FX 2500M. The other thing you might want to do is set the affinity of Mastercam to the 2nd core processor. I didn't set the affinity or the process priority for my test though.

This was a fresh default install and I hadn't reset a thing. Affinity is set by default to both cores.

quote:

Did you turn off the surface/plane intersection display?

No.

quote:

What are your toolpath repaint options set to for toolpath creation (settings - configuration - Toolpaths - Toolpath display during creation)?

Toolpathsettings.jpg

quote:

Have you configured your Graphics card to use the solidworks performance and quality profile and selected the CAD desktop profile? These two settings work like magic on the FX 2500M. The other thing you might want to do is set the affinity of Mastercam to the 2nd core processor. I didn't set the affinity or the process priority for my test though

I changes the video setting on my M90 as per the above, made only a 1 sec difference - as expected since this test is purely CPU intensive.

Jay