Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

I setup a 200mb ramdisk(using super speeds software) on my M70 and pointed mastercams temp files and regen files to the ramdisk. My regeneration time did not change. My hard drive light was still coming on. I only have 1gb of ram on my laptop so it is possible I used too much of my ram for a ramdisk. Anyone else tried this? I was hoping for some improvement but my measely 1gb of ram may make it something that just doesn't apply to my laptop. Are there other files that need to be mapped to the ramdisk to make this more effective?

Thoughts?

1st time. I just turned off Norton AV, loaded the sample file, changed the cut to .0001 and hit regen. Dell puts lots of crapware on thier machines so when we get them we format the HD and do a clean install which may be why other similar laptops are slower.

quote:

8 min. 5 sec.

Dell M90 2.16

2 gig RAM 667 Mhz

Win XP Pro

Quadro FX2500M

I would expect at least a 10% advantage wit the the 2.16 GHz cpu over my 2.0 GHZ CPU ( The CPU's are more like "1968 MHz" and rounded up to 2GHz.

So bottom line, as fast of CPU you can get, and at even better at least two of them on the same motherboard. This is how we spec hardware for any sort of CPU intensive but single threaded application.

Jay

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would expect at least a 10% advantage wit the the 2.16 GHz cpu over my 2.0 GHZ CPU ( The CPU's are more like "1968 MHz" and rounded up to 2GHz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 8 min. 5 sec vs. your 10 min. 2sec. is closer to 24%.

I was coming in at 10min 55sec with the 2.16 GHz machine just with the 1500fx card as opposed to the 2500fx.

I have a Shuttle I put together.

Intel 3.0 Prescott

2 Gig PC3200

Quadro 500 AGP video 8X

Raptor 10k HDD...

Crunch time 11 min 58 seconds.....

Running Window XP Pro/IE7 with all the Eye candy turned ON....

NO AV installed on this puter at all, only Windows firewall....behind a hardware router also...

One thing you could look at with task manager is how many processes are running. My M90 has 38 running with MC running and no file open. CPU usage here is 0% to 2%. My dad has a Dell 1710 which is similar to the M90 but he's running XP Media Center OS Dell loaded and he has 58 - 64 processes running after boot up and his single core CPU almost never goes below 10% usage.

7:45

Dell XPS M1710 laptop

Core 2 Duo T7600 @2.33 GHz

4 g of RAM

7950 nVidia w/512 mb

XP Pro

had X2MR1, browser, email running along with all the other crap Dell has running in the background. just got the laptop, loaded X and went to testing.

i would have prefered an AMD processor.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a good deal at the Dell Outlet Store

Dell WS-690

2 dual core Xeon 2.66 ghz

4 gig of 533 Ram

2 Raptor 73 gig 10k hard drives

Quadro FX-3450 video card

a DVD burner

and WinXP Pro x64

$2089 + $109 for a 3 year warranty

Its a sratch and dent and one corner of the box