Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Center and Edge Finder

Ployd

I was wondering what people are using to locate and set up parts. In the past I've used an edge finder on a Bridgeport style mill. I found this at Grainger LINK and wonder if anyone uses these or has a better solution.

We are currently using a router to machine large composite molds and patterns. We typically place cross hair reference marks in the corners of the bagging flange area. Then if we need to bring the parts back on the machine we use a scribe to check the marks. But I was wondering if we drilled holes and used a centering type wiggler might be faster and better than relying on my eye and scribe. I'm not sure what the accuracy is on these center finders. We are looking for something fast and accurate. Any help would be apprecated.

Thanks!

I use to use one of those alot. Most of the machines at the shop I am currently working at use spindle probes so we don't use them now, but they are pretty effective if you have a good quality one.

For edge finding they are accurate within .001 inch easily, but not really sure how good they are for holes.

Buy a Starrett one though if you do...avoid the cheap ones. Money well spent IMO.

Personally, I indicate most everything in. But, when I do use an edge finder, I use this one. I was never able to trust an edge finder until I bought the Schmidt. This one seems to be more sensitive than the Starretts I have owned. Heck, it has lasted me 15 years so far. The double ended ones don't like to come out of a collet without stretching the spring way out and often breaking it.

Cheers,

I used those 3D sensors all the time at my first job and they work great, but are very expensive if you do...well, explode them wink.gif I filled one with coolant once too. Hit the tool change in mdi, and it had an m8 on the next line (SB off), I walked away while the old umbrella style carosel changed, came back and it was just being pummeled by the coolant. lol I thought it was sorta funny, the boss didnt