Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Question about Mill Tutorial, Lesson 8

btu44

Hello,

This will be my first post and I would like to introduce myself.

I'm an entry level machinist with about 1 year of experience. I am career changing from the Electronics field ... I sure have alot to learn.

In the hopes of quickening the learning curve I purchased a Tormach CNC mill and Mastercam with the Tutorial book.

In lesson 8, page 8-9 it says to "Mirror the initial wireframe." I finished the lesson and ran the part on the Tormach, all seemed OK.

My question is: Why did I need to mirror the wireframe? I do not see why it was necassary?

Machinist are frequently called on to build left and right hand parts.

Mirroring tool paths is an easy way to do this, though it it not usually the best way.

I don't have a copy of the mill tutorial, by my guess is they just wanted you to see Mastercam's

mirroring capabilities.

Welcome to the fourm.. this is an ambitious

enterprise you've undertaking. Are you working has a machinist as well??

Welcome to the Forum

cheers.gif

Being unfamiliar with that lesson the only thing I can suggest is perhaps it was an exercise in using a tool that is available.

RacerX sounds like he might have it straight

Thanks for the replys ... I believe I understand.

I think I'll retry this lesson but omit that step. I'll see what happens.

gcode: I was working as a machinist when I was much younger. I went to join the Navy as a machinist but they thought I'd serve them better as a EW Tech. But I've always rather been a machinist.

Going from wigling a mouse and a oscilliscope probe to picking up Kurt vise's, pressing the green button and near 100% pay cut ... ambitious yes, others have called it something else.

Hope everyone has a great New Year.

quote:

Going from wigling a mouse and a oscilliscope probe to picking up Kurt vise's, pressing the green button and near 100% pay cut

the pay will change quickly if you can do the work... its a skilled trade with not nearly enough qualified trainees.

for some reason it does not get the respect

some other trades get, but it can be a great career.

This is a great place to get help.. some of the best in the business hang out here.. its a little slow today due to the holdiays.

You could look at being an automation machine repair. Robotics repair, or something along those lines. Knowing PLC programming and trouble shooting skills is a great plus, and companies like Kraft foods and Coke-a-Cola pay top dollar for people with those skills. If you can also machine thats just icing on the top.

I appreciate the suggestions, good advice.

I have given alot of thought about machine repair, I'd probebly be better at it than machining. Just not sure who to 'get my foot in the door'

But I'll give machining another year. I just found a new one man shop were the guy wants to mentor me. Sounds like a great opportunity.