Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X3 Mill suggestions and improvements

Redfire427

Recently, someone from CNC Software posted a thread requesting lathe users to post what they would like to see in future releases of lathe. I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of suggestions for mill users.

Some of the things I would like to see are:

A huge improvement in processing speed. Other cam sytems completely blow Mastercams doors off in this regard.

2D corner rounding ( filleting of toolpath ) just like you have in the highspeed toolpaths. I would like to be able to add corner rounding on a 2D contour toolpath without generating new geometry or filleting an internal corner by modifying geometry. I remember a Deckel control used to be able to due this with just a g-code. This is very important for high speed machining.

Improve the highspeed toolpaths so that a toolpath like pencil will climb mill the part with no exceptions.

I'm sure there are a lot of things that all of the other experienced users out there would love to see also. Add to this thread and you just never know. Maybe someone from CNC Software might actually run with it.

quote:

I would love to be able to set my speed and feeds like the cutting tool manufactures present it. ie SFM and IPT vs RPM and FPM

You can already do this with the high speed toolpaths.. it wouldn't surprise me to it

this feature in regular toolpaths sometime soon

wink.gif

quote:

variable spindle speed with a ballnose to keep the SFM , like CSS on a lathe for facing

it will be great

That would be cool but I think that's more up to the machine being able to use G96 or a post that would change RPM at every line of code as the end mills diameter versus engagement to the work changed. Sounds like maybe a high speed tool path enhancement to me. Maybe it already exists? smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Suggest fixing all the bugs in the current version before introducing more in the next...

How about giving us what's been promised FOR 10 YEARS before giving some new stuff that few will use. Oh wait, marketing geniuses rolleyes.gif make the decisions now. 8-/

Yes, a corner rounding feature, right next to the taper feature in contour would be nice with the option to turn the corner, or come straight off the edge. Also, leave the coolant turned on in the tool libraries and operation defaults as I believe more people use coolant than not. Off topic: I'm forever going to associate this forum with the animated gif of the beanie guy. Can't get that face out of my head, lol.

"Suggest fixing all the bugs in the current version before introducing more in the next."

+10000

Add a double angle chamfering tool into the tool list and be able to select chamfering with the upper or lower edge.

FIX the boring bar so that if you leave tip comp on by accident it dosen't bury the boring bar inches into the part.

In restmill toolpath (hsm or standard)it would be good to add additional option to use only previous operations that I manually select (not only one previous operation, all previous operations...)

Inside corner rounding in 2d operations would be also very nice (like mentioned above).

When transforming operations would be good to select different attributes or change level when we select create new geometry...

To use "Q" values for feedrate you can modify post (our local MCAM dealer did it for us and it works great on Heidenhain control)

It would be good to stop or pause regenerating operations or even better to regen in backgroud and allow to creating new operations at the same time.

Support for multiple processors.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Hoping that Verify in the new version will also take adavantage of multiple processors...

Been hoping for that one too since the days Pentium Pro 200's were available on Workststions in the mid 90's. I'm guessing it's coming to the point where development of it makes sense due to the wide-spread availability of multi CPU systems and just about every processor sold for workstation class computers has at least 2 cores if not 4.

That would definitely get a two thumbs up though.