Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapermilling

So, I am using a 10 deg. tapermill with the following spec's; .125" dia. at the tip 2" flute with .5" dia. finish (and shank).

The way the tool is defined in MC is based on the tip and the length. So I define this tool and run the tool path (basically a bore with a 10 deg. lead into another smaller bore). The big bore is 6.725" x 1" lg, and the small bore is 6.135" and whatever length it is with the 10 deg in there.

So, I chained originally to the small size bore (6.135") but the big diam. of the tapermill has to blend fairly close to the 6.725" diam, which at the moment cuts about .3 (just eyeballing) off that diam.

So, since I know my tool is defined correctly, it must be in how I have chained this. If I chain the large diameter it puts the .125" tip of the tapermill along that edge thus destroying any straight section I once had.....

I am confused, apparently. Some advice or help would be wonderful! =] Thanks!

quote:

[take the top chain and offset it

in and down 10° by 2 deep]

You can also use the top chain, and on contour toolpath inside the depth cuts parameter your will checkbox 'tapered walls' and put the same angle as you tapermill. Like that you can set any depth and the tool will offset automatically