Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using a spreadsheet to edit tools

NeilJ

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Open your tool library in MCAM and right click on the white part of the tool library and go there

TOOLLIBRARIES.jpg

That will create a txt file that can be modified and then brought back to Mcam.

Hope that helps,

Hope that helps,

I want to be able to export the tool library text into a spreadsheet. A spreadsheet will make it easier for me to add and edit tools instead of what I now do which is open each tool one at a time and edit it. I was hopeing someone had already setup a spreadsheet to do this as I don't have time or the inclination to setup a spreadsheet myself for this purpose.

• 1 month later...

quote:

Nope. I don't mean like that. What a mess.

OK...... You don't like that. But that is what MCX tool libraries look like in their native ascii format. What kind of eye candy do you want? If you have any excel skills, you can make it LOOK however you want. But the fact remains, if you save the above spreadsheet as a .txt file, it WILL create a library. There is quite a bit of help docs that describe the formatting......

Good morning, Robert.

I've seen what Mastercam X tool libraries look like by opening them in Notepad. I understand that I can format the info any way I like in Excel most likely using VBA (if it's still called that). I have done this kind of thing in the past but at this point I don't wish to allocate the time and effort to do this and would prefer to purchase one that looks pretty and is easy for anyone to use without understanding Mastercam's tool library format.

While you may not agree that something like this is important at least you didn't take it personally and seem to understand where I'm coming from with wanting "eye candy" for a tool library spreadsheet.

Obviously my opinion is that Excel should not be necessary and this should be available inside of Mastercam but since it isn't I accept that I have to go this way and make the best of it.

What do you feel is a fair price to pay for an easy to use spreadsheet that is easy on the eyes?

No idea on price.

As I stated in another forum, I have automated all of my libraries by bringing our Cribmaster data into MCX.

That being said, I don't use excel anymore.

I don't even have to look at the info. I don't do anything except run the import for the library file I want, and Bingo, a Tool library based on which machine or crib the tool is located at any given time.

We have over 10,000 tools in Cribmaster, and every single one is available to me..........

Very automated, but perhaps overkill for smaller shops. I am very well versed in SQL, scripting, etc, and set up the process in house.

To my knowledge (after working closely with CNC and Winware), nothing like this is available commercially, but the excel method works "out of the box".

Tom, I created a number of custom fields in CM to handle the MCX info. A screenshot of an item is below.

If the regular CM fields don't cover what MCX needs, then that info goes into a custom field. I have one field, mastercam, that I give a value of 1 for a SQL flag to select the record for export.

Using a SQL query, I select the records based on (in our case) which crib or machine it is located in.

Then , I get a different report (import file) for each location (crib) we have. In addition to our cribs, all of our machines are cribs.

I then instruct CM via a scheduled report (using CM and crystal for custom reports I created) to create import files every hour.

Whenever we need "live" tool info, we import the library into MCX.

HTH cmi.jpg

Are you looking at the report file, or the export file?

If you are looking at the report file, do a detailed report and it will all be there.

If you are talking about the export file, look in row 7, columns 10,11,12,and 13 for the feeds and speeds of each tool.

quote:

You should seriously consider creating a custom interface to Crib Master (and TDM) and selling it as a product.

For sure, we use crib master here too.

As long as they've had it its been used for

nothing more than a big candy machine.

Same blockhead that originally ordered tools for

it still does and we still have to remind him.

Its pretty sad really.

PEACE biggrin.gif

what type of data are you wanting to change in with this mass edit? I am always looking useful apps to work on. I may be willing to put some time into it but would like more info on what you are looking for.

I am not sure a spreadsheet is the best way to go but a nice interface that allows one to accomplish the task easily.

Alex

Any parameter needed to describe and use the tool in Mastercam. If you feel it would be better to use Access or create a Visual Basic application to do this, then that's great. What I would like is something that's self-explanatory / requires minimal training and is faster than entering or editing tools one at a time. If you want to sell it for a reasonable price that's fine as well. We have five seats of Mastercam and I'm sure all of us would like an easier way than what we now have.

quote:

Create a setup wizard that would generate the scripts and templates automatically. That would be sweet.

I have actually thought about doing that. The biggest hurdle I've encountered, is the generic table structure in the Cribmaster install.

The standard DB tables do not include enough fields for all of the MC tool info. For example, speeds, feeds, milling and drilling attributes, etc. But the open design of CM makes adding them easy enough.

In my discussions with Winware (Cribmaster), no one they know of has as many custom fields as we do.

Depending on the platform for the CM/TDM (access, MSI, SQL, Oracle)I don't think that it would be to difficult to come up with a table merge setup to automate creating (altering) the data structure. I think that CM is more open than TDM, and Winware is definitely more available. I worked quite a bit with Winware code geeks to make sure I wasn't gonna break their data structure eek.gif

Once the tables are done, the export queries or crystal reports are pretty easy to replicate from system to system, as long as the tables are identical. The info that MC wants is pretty set, so only Cribmaster/TDM data structure needs tweaking. The end export file MUST be formatted to what MC import wants to see, but only needs to be done once.

the above is not really a fault of CM or MC, just a difference in their design. Database vs. ascii.

Both companies have been very helpful in assisting me.

I have been told by both CNC and Winware that data exchange is something they believe would help the industry. Does that mean that they will get something made soon? No. But I think they are working towards that. I have talked to both quite a bit but..........

Colin, I met quite a few Boeing folks at Winware seminars. Do you use both? or is it location dependent?

Ok guys. I had a quick look at this and have come up with a very simple utility.

This utility will edit the txt file that is created when you export a library from Mastercam.

It is setup at this point to only work with milling tool library files.

Install and run the application.

From the file menu open the library file.

Navigate through the library using the two buttons in the center at the bottom.

When you are done use the Close option and you will be prompted to save the file. ]

Then you can import that file back into Mastercam.

Try it out and let me know how it works for you. I have not had any time to really test it in great detail so I may have some little bugs...if you find some please let me know.

Download: www.fastechinc.net/Tool_Manager_REL.zip

Alex

I can port the project over. yea I developed it using Visual Studio.net2003 I have 2005 and 2008 express on my vista box but don't really use them cause they are the express editions.. I am not sure if they will make installers or not...havn't tried in a long time.

if it's a major issue I will try to port it over...just let me know

Alex