Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using a spreadsheet to edit tools

NeilJ

Hi Robert,

We are using CM Version 7.5 and Mastercam X3, I greatly appreciate the help, and I’ll start adding the required fields. Is it better to have more even if you don't use them all, their are so many different configurations depending on the tools you use. We only have 2 Vending Machines and 1 Tooling Crib. Everything runs off the Tool Crib Software. And like you we want to start using Bar Code so the Operator doesn’t have to guess what I’m thinking about.

Ted

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted, I was unclear. Sorry.

The version I was asking about was the SQL, Access, or MSDE type database. That is where the differences are in regards to exporting custom reports. Access cannot export properly without Crystal reports, while in SQL, you can do it right from the DB. MSDE is a free and stripped down version of SQL.

I like crystal reports for every version, but it is complicated, and intimidates some folks and has a steep learning curve. But man is it flexible!

You can add custom fields at any time, but having more will not hurt. They would just be treated as empty fields if not used.

But beware, even empty fields carry an overhead cost in the database. The field length is usually allocated, even if the field is empty (null).

The more processor and memory your server has, the less of an issue it is.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a powerpoint show that outlines the benefit of using Excel for CNC Process Planning and documentation. Please let me know what you think... I have made contact with Alex Cole at fastechinc to see about a mass import of Excel data into a Mastercam Tool Library file. This would enable near instantanious mass import of data. That would be sweet...

[email protected]

Well I wanted to attach the slide show but don't know how to. If you e-mail me, I'll send it to you...

[ 10-01-2009, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Scott_bob ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

quote:

"Like others, waiting for an excel, or database or xml style library for Mastercam."

Needed here

Thus sayeth a guy who can't even figure out how to drill holes.

sign0151.gif

Robert,

I'm finally back to this post I have a little time on my hands now. I have someone looking into what you have done for me but I’m going to do some of it on my own. I'm not much of a programmer outside of Mastercam so I need help. If I need to email you directly for some more assistance would that be ok or just keep re-opening this thread.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

[hijack]

That's a work of art. I love those kinds of parts. Challenging to program but they sure look nice and impressive in the trophy case.

[/hijack]

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Ok guys. I had a quick look at this and have come up with a very simple utility.

This utility will edit the txt file that is created when you export a library from Mastercam.

It is setup at this point to only work with milling tool library files.

Install and run the application.

From the file menu open the library file.

Navigate through the library using the two buttons in the center at the bottom.

When you are done use the Close option and you will be prompted to save the file. ]

Then you can import that file back into Mastercam.

Try it out and let me know how it works for you. I have not had any time to really test it in great detail so I may have some little bugs...if you find some please let me know.

Download:

Did anything ever become of this?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

To my knowledge (after working closely with CNC and Winware), nothing like this is available commercially, but the excel method works "out of the box".

True dat. We have developed Excel <---> .tooldb in-house ... even excel <-----> mcx drawing from digital catalogs in-house. But the operative word is 'in-house' ... we are a machine shop, not a software shop.