Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Useless and dangerous feature

No it does not do the same thing. When using tabs, it does not change the starting height of the tab, it leaves it in place and breaks through by that amount. So if your tab is .02" from the bottom of the part and you set a break through of .01", your tab will be unaffected.

if you use -.01" z stock, then you will have to change the size of your tab to .03" in order to make a .02" tab.

Even in Mill I think it helps preserve the design intent of the operation. If I'm using a bullnose with a .030" corner radius and set a .035 break through, I don't need to refigure my depth of cut if I change to a flat endmill later. I can just change the breakthrough to .005" or whatever. While stock to leave may produce the same result and I don't recall ever using both at the same time, the term has a different meaning in my mind.

+1 on partial tab depth, I don't believe it affects full height tabs, or onion skinning.

I set my depth to the depth of my geometry, I then use negative stock to leave to input my "breakthrough". The only reason I use negative stock to leave instead of breakthrough is because breakthrough requires that I open another dialog to check that value.