Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Opinions on video card please

cobra95kev

Hey guys I have been having trouble with my verifys taking forever to complete and sometimes when I have been working on a moderately sized files 15 to 25 megs windows that I open will start sticking on me and hanging up. Could this video card be the problem. I don't know much about video cards anymore.

Please look at the link.

http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/evg...7-32571656.html

Thanks alot.

If I had a pci-e slot I diff. wouldn't use that card. I see it only cost $30.00, you can get much more powerful cards if you throw alittle more money at them. I would also check the amount of Ram, do a fresh defrag and disk cleanup. Make sure to turn off any other programs running in the background, they eat away at resources.

Well It is not my money or computer. If it was mine this would be a non issue. They just had these comps built before I got to this company and they went to our reseller to get the specs needed to run X2 and I think they were just given the minimum requirements to run it. So this is the video card I have now. They have already spent a ton of money on 2 of these Dell workstations both with dual 22" wide monitors and upgraded 1 seat from Version 9 to X2 and bought the other seat new. I think the rest of the computers specs are good I just don't know why they went so cheap on the video cards. Here is the rest of the specs:

Dell Opitplex 755

Intel core Duo CPU

E8200 @2.66GHz

2.66GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM

I just hate to ask them to spend more money. But I will if you guys think it would be worth the upgrade. We do everything here including alot of surfacing and 4 and 5 axis work.

Thanks,

I had an eVga 8800 GTS 512Mb video card in my home PC and it would run the verify program fine, actually better than the Quadro cards in our workstations. eVga has a program where you can upgrade within 90 days of purchase and recieve full credit for what it cost toward an upgrade card. I borrowed a FX6200 series card from a friend to use while I wait for the new GTX 260 card to arrive. I was surprised to find it runs almost as well on MC and Catia and on twin 24" monitors. I've really had less trouble with the GeForce cards than the Quadro cards. You can get the 8800 GTS for about $170

• 7 months later...

Just got the 9800 GTX two days ago and paid under $300. I swear it smokes the Quadro FX1400 and still outperforms the Quadro FX3500 that I had in my other system. I'm comparing apples to apples. Both were exact systems that had their cards replaced.

quote:

Just got the 9800 GTX two days ago and paid under $300. I swear it smokes the Quadro FX1400 and still outperforms the Quadro FX3500 that I had in my other system. I'm comparing apples to apples. Both were exact systems that had their cards replaced.

Hey Peon, could you run the benchmark on both of those systems, so we can see if the GPU makes any difference?

7min 36sec

Dell Precision 670

Windows XP Professional 32-bit

Dual Xeon 3.2ghz

3-Gig Ram

GeForce 9800 GTX Video

Not impressive crunch times, but my peformance gain is all related to video. My space pilot is fast, smooth and flawless in most aspects. Backplot is much smoother and I can rotate while verifying. The quality on the screen is very crisp. I didn't have any complaints with the FX1400 and FX3500 until I installed this video card and realized we OVERPAID on the Quadro line.

Thanks for the heads up on the FX580. Very little info on the net so far. My FX3400 just got toasted on me and I've been researching alternatives in the Quadros. If you like the eye candy you get with the realview in SW, the Quadros are a must. Here's what I've found so far. The FX570 is faster than the FX1500 and the FX3400. That being said, The FX580 has 512mb vs 256mb for the FX570, 25.6gbps bandwidth vs 12.8gbps, and 32 parallel cores vs 16. The FX580 cuts good on paper, time will tell. My FX3400 ran fine, perhaps a bit slow in verify, so I'll assume the FX570 with dual DVI will make me happy at around $170. new. One odd note. The FX570 requires 450W but no 6 pin connector. No mention of ddr3 being on the FX580 at Nvidia's website. That being said, a 9800gt will run circles around all of theses cards, for less money. My stock PSU being at 340w will need to be upgraded for the FX570 or the 9800gt so I might as well upgrade the PSU and lean towards the 9800gt.