Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unable to create finish surfacing toolpath!

Bruce Kanzelmeyer

I am attempting to create a finish toolpath for a tooling model and nothing seems to work. I find it hard to believe that this geometry is too difficult for Mastercam but every surface finishing strategy I attempt, whether HST or standard surface finishing, fails with something like "Unable to determine valid machining zone--no toolpath created". Can anyone get a finish toolpath on this part? I have uploaded SK14476.zip into the MCX2_files folder on the FTP site if anyone has a chance to take a look. I would like to get a finish using .003" step over using a 1/4" ballmill. This part is 6013 aluminum for a thermoforming mold. Thanks!

Bruce

Your model has problems

MC is letting me crunch a path with containment boundarys but its taking for ever.(so far 20 minutes after changing the tolerance to .001 to speed it up and see if I get the same error

So far so good but I don't think MC likes the model

(X2 MR 2)

I will let it crunch, if it work I will put i on the ftp site

sk.jpg

Rick

Thanks everyone--still running X2MR2SP1. I can't update until my Robotmaster post is updated, so still using MR2. The model comes from a customer, so I'm kinda stuck with it.

John--I'll try Surface finish blend--I've not used that strategy before--when is that one desireable to try?

I was planning a restmill operation with a 1/8" ballmill after the 1/4" ballmill operation. And yes, horizontal surface for the interior flat region!

I'm back, i want you to try it.

I put a igs file in the same folder called SK14476_TOOL.IGS with the two boundaries i used

import/merge the igs, when you select the(containment bnd's) pick the out side one then the inside one

Change your tolerance on the last tool parameter page to .001 and see if if does it for you

I had to reboot my system 1st for some reson to get it to work

Rick

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried to use the Test surface options to try to fix the surface problems? There should be an icon under anylize that lets u trim overlapping surfaces, delete small surfaces and such. Usually it helps with problem models. Or sometimes u can export it into other software and import with differant options to fix problem models.

I don't know how relevant this is, but to avoid nested boundry problems I make an inside and an outside boundry then make a line intersecting both then offset copy that line by .001", break and trim outside and inside to those lines to make 1 continous boundry. It works every time but I don't use it real often.

Barry