Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HASP damage/theft?

Phooey

Hi! This will be my first post, but I've been lurking for a little while. Heres the situation: my boss has never heard of a HASP before. he just found out that i cannot back up the HASP in software somehow- or will not- and i'm starting to look insubordinate because he has become aware that it is technically possible but that i won't do it. and that i cannot do my job without it. So- what actually happens if it is lost or stolen? what if its just damaged? Also- how do you keep yours safe? will it work with wireless USB so we can put it in the cage with the server and use MasterCAM on the laptop in the shop? anyone here ever actually lost or broken one?

First Off, you can not "back up" your HASP. It is a violation of the EULA agreement, you clicked the first time mastercam was started.

You could obtain a NetHASP, this could be located in a secured server room, then any system could access it.

If it is stolen, your reseller will require you to file a Police Report, then fill out the paper work to replace the unit.

Welcome to the forum.

You can run a network hasp set-up, but you would need to purchase that option from your dealer. We share licenses between two physical location on the same network here.

As far as backing up the hasp, this is typically done with an emulator and is ILLEGAL. The fines can be quite a bit more than the cost of the software. The link on the bottom of the screen is to the BSA.org. There is a lot of information there as to the ramification of being prosecuted for pirated software.

As for a nethasp there is a certain criteria for having a nethasp you need to talk to your dealer.

I am not sure what part of Cali you are in so I don't know if I can help you directly in my area or not.

You will not be able to run this from a server on a single hasp. if you had a nethasp you could do the wireless and even off site i did this for disney.

I also setup Haas Manufacturing to use wireless for allot of there laptops off there Nethasp.

But as John stated and you know as I can tell by your posting that cracking or copying in any way of the hasp if forbidden.

as for safety thoughts run a usb extension cable back in to the computer, allot of computers have ways of locking them from opening. if not make something that makes it hard to open the case. this will make it hard for someone to get the Hasp.

There is actually a way to create your own sort of 'NetHasp' using a single Hasp key and a Belkin USB Hub extender. Belkin has a neat software utility that comes with the hub extender that allows any computer on the network to 'tag' that hub extender and have your computer treat the extender as a 'local' USB port.

This means you can install Mastercam on any computer on the network, and as long as someone isn't using the HASP, any computer could access it.

This will NOT let you run multiple copies of Mastercam at the same time, only one computer can access the HASP at a time, but it saves the hassle of moving the HASP and you can setup a computer on the network that is in a secure area, and not have to worry as much about loss/theft of the hasp.

The other reason this is useful is that to qualify for a NetHasp, you need a minimum of 3 seats of Mastercam.

Colin is correct. This device is called the "Belkin Network USB Hub". You plug your key into the "hub" and then plug the "hub" into your router or network switch. The software can be configured to connect to the hasp upon launching the Belkin software and then auto start MasterCam, upon closing of MasterCam the hasp is disconnected and available for others to use. The Belkin .exe becomes your MasterCam shortcut on the desktop..

cheers and have fun...

The Hasp wont disappear by itself. It can be stolen. It can be lost due to fire. Those are the real problems you need to plan for.

Fire is covered by insurance. Theft can be a problem in any company. But with the right environment and employer/employee relations this is less likely to happen.

I have seen schools run a cable from the port, into the PC case and leave the Hasp inside. Yes you can open the case and steal if if you want, but it's more work.

Like Bryan said above. Sims can be replaced for a fee, not a complete re-purchase. The owner has to file a report signed in the blood of a virgin. Good luck finding one of those in California.

Mike Mattera

wow,

first of all, thanks everyone who responded. I did not expect so many responses so quickly! This "Belkin Network USB Hub" sounds like what he wants, thanks Colin & Josh! has anyone done this? The bolt it to the desk solution he wont go for, because then we can't move around with the laptop. sounded good to me though. Now there are a couple of things i should cover just to be clear. I am aware that it is illegal to do what my boss means by "back up the HASP", which is why, as mentioned, i am starting to appear insubordinate! He was mad when i said i wouldn't do it! He would never do anything illegal either, he just didn't understand the limitations imposed by the very concept of a HASP. everything else in this shop is backed up in four places so when i told him this one thing wasn't, he flipped out. he looks as though he has calmed down today. Im waiting for a reassurance from our dealer that they would replace it if damaged. if i get that and implement this belkin solution i'm sure he will be ok. whew. thanks everybody!

$75?! that's awesome. If not for all the cjoffffeee i'd sleep well tonight. I'll report all this to him and order that hub. yeah, ownership is a weird thing. I don't know what he thought, but if i thought i OWNED MasterCAM, i wouldn't show up and make valves tomorrow. smile.gif thanks again everybody!