Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCX2 on Discovery Channel

bogusmill

The Discovery Channel has new show called Investigation X which premieres this Monday evening, October 13th.

The first show has footage shot in our shop. It's about 3 UFO sightings with lots of reliable witnesses. They wanted to find out about sonic booms from a disc shaped craft and a fighter.

I contacted Haas and our MC dealer with some problems before hand because this was a rare chance for exposure of our (profession) on a rather mainstream network and I wanted Haas, Mastercam, our shop and WSU look as good as possible.

Our 4th axis was a little jerkey so HAAS donated enableing high speed machining. Turns out we only used 4th axis for indexing and the jerkeyness was something else but thanks anyway to Haas!

The disc was made from aluminum and fighter from 17-4 SS. The fighter had 600+ faces so I asked our MC dealer if CNC software could clean up the model so I could create a good looking cut in 4th axis. A 3D path worked but I always got an error in multiaxis paths. I never heard back from them so I assume they couldn't make it work either but thanks for trying.

For 2 days they filmed me & another machinist cutting models and using MCX2-MR2 and Catia. I don't know how much time the shop will be on air but they have lots of footage to use. I machine one side of the disc in about 3-5 minutes.

If you watch the show I hope you enjoy it and I hope I don't look like a dork*%@* cuckoo.gif