Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thought I would share something.

crazy^millman

Got this part we are doing. We need to do a pretty complex bore in this Clevis. The part has splines and has to be made out of rectangle plate. The bore is way off center of the Material. So I pulled up something we use to do years ago at a place I worked at. I took some 12" dia round stock and cut the jaw pattern and holes for bolts that would represent the jaws in back of the plate. On the front I milled the rectangle that is the size of the Material. I had all the block squared up and made the same size. Now I insert the block into the fixture and we can do the complex bore with undercut and radii with no problem on our lathe. We do not have to worry about a balance problem since we are using the solid round stock. We do not have to worry about holding the fixture in Jaws since it bolts right to face of the jaws using where the jaws would bolt as key to the key slots cut in the back. Perfectly centering the fixture, holding the work piece perfect using set screws to hold it in place and allowing the next op to go smoothly.

Many of you know we have an Integrex and if were not booked for the next 22 months it would have been done there verses the 4 operation it will take to prepare it for heat treat.

Here is a picture I got a file to share of it. I can not share the finished part, but you can see the concept if you like.

RECT_FIX.png

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Tips and Tricks forum. Right now there's only like one or two Tips...

You'll need to change to "Show all topics" to see more. There's some dating back to 2001.

Enjoy! cheers.gif

Everyone here is what the finished Fixture looks like:

Front:

img002.jpg

Back:

img003.jpg

They are putting it in the machine right now and it fits like a glove. Guy running the machine is little worried since it weighs 140 lbs and I will be running it at 2000 rpms for the turning work. He asked if we have life insurance and the shop foreman told him we have enough to cover the burial. wink.gifwink.gif

Ron,

Will this be turned into three jaws or or will this be a fixture and mounted in the chuck?

We have done similar setups where I mount the jaws on the lathe and mill out the needed shape using the "C" axis on the lathe.

It definitely allows easier and more accurate boring of an offset hole.