Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Heidenhain Manual Plus 4110

rdshear

Has anyone dealt with the Heidenhain Manual Plus 4110 lathe control through Mastercam? We are getting a new machine in the next couple of months that will have this control and was wondring if anyone has had any experience working with one. What post do you use? Custom? MPLmaster? Self developed?

I'm just trying to get a heads up before it arrives so I'm somewhat prepared.

Thanks for your input

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this topic a while back and I wanted to comment but forgot.

We have a lathe with a Heidenhain control. I can`t give you too much detail right now I`m at home.

The conversational programming on the controller is very good as well as machine simulation. We have live tooling and it works very well, I have used MC for some of that programming and when I program general programs it posts long hand not can cycles.

I`ll give more detail on Wednesday when I`m back to work.

quote:

Heidenhain control and we purchased a custom post from In House Solutions

We did too. There was a little tweaking... we bought a TNC530i post and we have a TNC430i on a trunnion style Hermle C600u. They're posts are great and if you're post savvy you should have no problem "salting it to taste". The tweaking we did was expected... I'm Post OCD! biggrin.gif I try to have ABSOLUTELY no hand editing.

I didn't pay for the post anyways... I paid for their 5X logic and the kinematics! biggrin.gif

HTH

Josh

We have machines with Heidenhain mill controls but this will be our first with a lathe control. I know the lathe control is considerably different than their mill controls.

It appears that the lathe control is Much more conversational than the mill controls I am familiar with. I was wondering if anyone used one of the lathe controls and if so, do they use the conversational or iso programming with Mastercam.

Also, Is the MPLMaster post good with moderate tweaking or will it be a major overhaul? Just trying to be ahead of things. The machine should arrive mid April.

Horizontal lathe, over 32Ft between centers, 67" swing, 80,000lb capacity.

It will be fun... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

Horizontal lathe, over 32Ft between centers, 67" swing, 80,000lb capacity

eek.gif

Making telephone poles???

Nah... I'm guessing corn silos for Midwest! biggrin.gif

Rick,

I personally have not seen a Heid Lathe control. If there is a post out there I'd bet InHouse has one. Check with your reseller and if they don't have it see if you can get a 30 day eval on an IH post.

HTH

Josh

I haven't called our reseller yet. I've done some pretty heavy post mods in the past and figured I may end up doing some to get one going for this machine.

Based on the feedback here, I don't think that control is too popular. I'll give our reseller a call. Maybe when Greg_J gets back tomorrow, he'll have a bit more input.

quote:

Making telephone poles???

Nah... I'm guessing corn silos for Midwest!

LOL biggrin.gif

Honestly, not sure what we'll be turining in that machine other than I'm sure it'll be big. wink.gif

quote:

I got some little stuff here that is only 140 inches in dia that needs to be done

Watching something like that turn would almost be hypnotic. biggrin.gif You'd be running what... 20 rpm?

I'm not sure exactly what the schedule for the install will be yet. Tentative date of arrival is April 15th.

Talked to our reseller and he's researching it a bit. Doesn't have anything off hand though.

New machines are always exciting...

We have a Heidenhain Plus IT 4290, (the number comes on the screen at start up) and we use a CNC Pilot machine def. and we have a CNCPilot post. We use iso code in our post for turning and boring and we use can cycles for threading and drilling.

In the controler the programming has to be done in particular way, you need to describe the tools in the turret and have to draw a rough stock def. and finished part as well. Some terms are in german.

Here is a sample of our code:

[MATERIAL: ALUMINUM ]

[RUN TIME:]

[PROGRAMMER: GREG]

[MASTERCAM FILE: STEERING WHEEL HUB-OPP-1 .MCX ]

[PART #: ]

[DATE: DEC - 05 - 08 ]

[TIME: 13:41 ]

PROGRAMMKOPF [PROGRAM HEAD]

#EINHEIT INCH [uNIT]

REVOLVER 1 [TURRET]

T 1 ID"CNMG"

T 12 ID"VNMG"

T 3 ID".75_QUAD-DRILL"

T 7 ID".5_ANTI-VIBE"

T 10 ID"INSERT-CSK"

T 11 ID"CUTOFF"

SPANNMITTEL 1 [CHUCKING EQUIPMENT]

ROHTEIL [bLANK]

N100 G20 X3.5 Z5.175 K.05

FERTIGTEIL [FINISHED PART]

N 2 G0 X0.752 Z-2.125

N 3 G1 Z-0.5

N 4 G1 X2.25 B0.125

N 5 G1 Z0

N 6 G1 X3.375 B0.125

N 7 G1 Z-2.125

BEARBEITUNG [MACHINING]

N110 G14 Q0

N120 G26 S2500 G95 F0.015

[ FACE ]

N130 G96 S1200 M4

N140 G0 T1

N150 M4

N160 G0 X3.9 Z.01 M108

N170 G1 X3.7 F.01

The 4110 control is a super easy control meant for 2 axis lathes with or without c-axis milling and drilling for cycle controlled lathes. Great control for one offs or repair type work. I don't think you'll need Mastercam unless you want the ease of reposting and moving the program to another machine at a later date.

Gary, Thanks for the link. The production folks here try to have us pre-program as much of the work on the floor as we can. They try to keep the machine idle time down to a minimum that way. I'm sure there will be times it will be programmed manually, but my guess is, if we can program it in Mastercam they will have us do it as much as possible.

I have looked through the pdf in your link and unfortunately it doesn't show much in the way of the actual code. It goes into great detail of programming the control at the control via the conversational menu's. I also downloaded thier training manual and pilot book for the control but they cover much the same. frown.gif

Oh well, April will be here before I know it and I'll get to actually lay hands on it to examine the code.

Thanks everyone for your help.

cheers.gif

Rick