Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why does X3 shut Solidworks down?

snarpee

Hello all,

Question for ya?, When in X3, I go to open a Solidworks CAD model, X3 then opens Solidworks and reads in all the Solidworks feature manager data, then opens the Solidworks file in X3, as soon as the file is open in X3, X3 then shuts Solidworks down, what the heck??? Am I the only one this is happening too?. I need Solidworks open at all time for all of my design work. That means I am loading Solidworks liek 100 times a day (not kidding about that). I always have X3 open while programming, but must have Solidworks open too to measure and referance other parts.

Is this a bug in MasterCAM, is this because Mastercam and Solidworks have not figured out their relationship yet? I dont know but its costing me about 2 hours a day just in waiting for programs to open ( no I dont have a slow computer, I have a state of the are 4,500 system that rocks at everything).

Chime in with your experiance, I cant be the only one....

God please let it just be a simple little switch and Im jsut ignorant.....

Thanks all....

If you choose to bring in the features from solidworks, Mastercam connects to solidworks to bring in the history. So if you have SW open you will see the part and the features being sucked out of it. Once the file is in MC that file goes away in SW. It should not shut SW down though. It may close down that page. Also If SW is not open, In mastercam you will see a message at the bottom of the screen saying "connecting to solidworks". You should be fine, just double check to make sure SW is not shutting down completly, I'm betting that it is not.

Hope this helps.

If SW is not open when you use Mastercam to grab the feature data, it will open SW, open the part in SW, do its thing, close the part, and close down SW.

If SW is open when you use Mastercam to grab the feature data, it should not shut down SW when it's finished. It will open the part in SW and then close that part when it's finished. It doesn't look to see if that part is already open (because it might not be the same depending on when things are saved).

If you're trying to get the current SW part across to Mastercam you could use Mastercam Direct to launch MC from SW with the currently active part.

Ok, again, Today I tried opening a SW file from X3 today in 2 different way. 1st With SW closed, then 2nd with SW already opened. Both methods shut SW down after X3 had opened it and sucked in all the SW model features.

any thoughts guy? Im out of ideas, and this really waste's lots of employee time to keep using X3 like this.

Thanks for all your help Guy's...!!!

Do you need to bring the feature tree into MC? If not go into Config/Converters and shut off Import Solids History. I run SW and MC on Dual monitors all the time and never have a problem with MC shutting down SW. Though, I rarely have a need to import the history. If I want to Suppress/Add something I usually just do it in SW and then import as SLDPRT. I don't like using SWDirect, since I have had it lose features in the past.

Bhayden10,

Im both glad to hear that you have the same problem, and sorry that you have the same problem as me, because that puts us both in the "Im having aproblem" catagory.

I still have not solved this issue, and have tried everything suggested in the trail of ideads on thes thread including installing the MasterCAM to SW translator software too.

This problem is very frustrating and waste lots of expensive employee time cycling SW on and off, then on, then off, then on, then off...etc... all day long.

I can only hope that there are more of us out there, and that this will get the attention of the MasterCAM software engineers so they can do some testing and solve it ASAP.

Well i don't think we should hold our breath, if the guru's (no disrespect intended) ain't having a problem then it most likely won't be addressed. It will take someone having the problem to figure it out for us. I've got a brand new system with clean installs of both so i'm guessing its a vista or 64 bit problem with either x3 or solidworks. As more people get new systems i would think the problem will come up more. On my system if I don't bring in the history it won't shut solidworks down.

It does indeed sound like an operating system issue, since I don't see anyone reporting this in XP32. At least that narrows down my list of suspects which are causing this.

"...On my laptop when I open MCX3 a window comes up "XP is installing Solidworks..."

Bogusmill, are you just launching X3 when you see this, or is it happening when you're either opening a SLDPRT into Mastercam (or dropping one onto the desktop shortcut)? I can't think of a good reason why SW would need to be 'installed' when simply starting MC. Therefore, the more info you can give me, the better.