Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to convince a stubborn 9.1 guy to go to X2?

Daniel M

This guys argument is basically that he is used to the 'word' commands on the left menu bar and he doesn't want to 'hunt' for icons. I keep telling him that I can customize X2 much to his 'style' of programming.

Besides staying current with MC technology, what are some good arguments to tell this guy to get him to bite the bullet and take a few weeks to get used to the X2 functionality and sH!t can 9.1?

Sorry for the rant.

D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell him not too. Tell him you appreciate the job security he is giving you. I tell everyone that wants to use older version of any software that. Why do you want all that competition for your job??

I am kidding of course. It is hard myself I have not gone to X3. X3 has a tons of bugs and our maintenance was up so we could not get the MU1 for X3. Sorry in all honesty FBM just doesn't have anything for what we do. When it can take one of parts and give me a bullet proof program for the Integrex then I will see a need for it in our shop. X3 and X2 are not much different to me, but V9 to Now major difference.

The easiest way for me to switch, was to open old V9 files in MCX when I needed to make some mods. It seemed to make things easier, as I didn't have to deal with so much new stuff at once.

I think the geometry creation, geometry selection, and "analyze" functions were the things that really tripped me up the most. (Never went to any training, of course). Just like everybody else says though, after a few days of adjustment, there's absolutely no way to go back to 9.1.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Easy, install X, convert all the old V9 files to X, remove V9, and finally, remove al the V9 files. You can probably do that in an hour or two after hours if you take your time. biggrin.gif

Then he'll learn. biggrin.gif

I don't know if Vista or Vista x64, or Windows 7 is it but at some point V9 won't run on the installed OS. "Sorry Mr. thumb sucker, V9 won't run on the new x64 OS we need for (insert program name) to run correctly so you will have to accept change and deal with it."

Maybe you can update the hasp so MC9 won't work. If you can that would be an easy way to slide him into X3, as opposed to the slap in the face of coming in one morning and it's been removed.

Dan,

Get him to go to the FREE X3 classes at Cimtech...

How about the new HSM toolpaths?

How about the new 2D HSM paths?

What about being able to cut stock in Verify, save the STL and then use it in your Stock Setup to see where the material is left?

What about being able to switch commands instantly without having to backup through the menu structure?

Have you showed him Surface Finish Blend???

To many reasons to list...

If you get the AI Utilities, there is a "V9" menu option which gives you a V9 flyout menu in the operations manager...

My "Boss" still uses V7.2a so I'm just waiting for my chance to push him aside and take his desk. LOL

Why spend your time and energy making a "convert" when you can make a career move. If you don't keep up, you get left in the dust. That's the rule here. IMHO

Reluctance to advance is a step backward in other words.

Keep at it with current versions of Mcam and you will soon be seen as an invaluable commodity.

Good Luck, and plan you attack carefully.

quote:

I don't know if Vista or Vista x64, or Windows 7 is it but at some point V9 won't run on the installed OS. "Sorry Mr. thumb sucker, V9 won't run on the new x64 OS we need for (insert program name) to run correctly so you will have to accept change and deal with it."

Why would you want to run V9 with Vista or Windows 7 when you can run it on Windows 95. Lol.

I have to admit I created my geometry in V9 and open the file in X while I got used to do it in X. That was in another lifetime.

John

OK, I admit that I still use V9.

I use the new functions in X3 when I need to, but most of the stuff isn't of any value to me for what we do here.

The main reason I haven't moved completely to X3 is the startup time. Version 9 starts in about 2 seconds, and X3 takes up to 20 seconds to start. I realize I can leave it running all the time, but I don't like to do that.

I am in and out of MC9 200 times a day. If I had to wait each time for more than a second or to for it to start I'd go nuts. (more time than you want to spend listening for me to justify this)

Yea, there are solutions to this, but a new $4,000 computer isn't one of them for me. The real solution is to have MCX optimized for startup time.

This is not just a problem with MCX, but with most software. Too much time spent getting the program out the door and not enough time spent making it right. It will never change, unfortunatly.

quote:

The main reason I haven't moved completely to X3 is the startup time. Version 9 starts in about 2 seconds, and X3 takes up to 20 seconds to start. I realize I can leave it running all the time, but I don't like to do that.

A new PC would pay for itself in no time at all.

I just bought a refurbished HP @ frys

for $400.

quote:

I am in and out of MC9 200 times a day.

That insane, how can you possible justify that ??

Time to ditch the ANAL-osity.

PEACE biggrin.gif