Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deep Pocket Milling Aluminum to 8" Deep

cired

I have a pretty straight forward aerospace part with some deep pockets and the stock size is roughly 8X8.5X9.75. This part has .5 corner radius's and a .5 fillet at the bottom. The deepest pocket goes 7.9 deep. Those of you who have cut pockets this deep succesfully, what tooling worked good for this?. This part will be going into a 40 taper 5 axis milling center. There must be some insert tooling out there vesus getting custom endmills made for this. Thanks in advance for any help.

• 10 years later...
On 5/13/2009 at 3:12 AM, cired said:

I have a pretty straight forward aerospace part with some deep pockets and the stock size is roughly 8X8.5X9.75. This part has .5 corner radius's and a .5 fillet at the bottom. The deepest pocket goes 7.9 deep. Those of you who have cut pockets this deep succesfully, what tooling worked good for this?. This part will be going into a 40 taper 5 axis milling center. There must be some insert tooling out there vesus getting custom endmills made for this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you have TSC? That will make the job a lot easier since you are doing it vertically... Unless you are on a grob or something. hehe

How wide is the pocket? I might be looking to pre drill with like a 3/4 or 1" spade drill 

• 1 month later...

I came across this topic a few months ago when it was revived, and I knew the perfect tool but I couldn't think of the company. I came across it again in the search engine and remembered it. I recommend the Pokolm VDGT or VCGT. Pages 133-143 in the catalog. They have ceramic inserts perfect for aluminum.. rough forever and basically never change inserts. I'm not sure of the cost as this was a couple companies ago. I was going to put the catalog in here but its too big. https://www.pokolm.de/en/downloads/?did=61