Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coolant On "With" default

Mr. Wizzard

"Crazy^Millman"

quote:

Go into the operation defaults in the master control defintion and select all the operations. Then right click and edit common parameters. Then go to the coolant option and set it to the one you want the most and then it will change all the operations. I have some set-up for hard metal that are always air blast and others set-up for just coolant that always comes at after.

I found this in another coolant topic.

I tried this, but when I click on the coolant option, it only lets me turn on or off, no option to select "before, with, after". headscratch.gif

r&d

the easiest way to set that up is have your coolant "defaults" set with your tool and change coolant settings to "from tool" and have the tools set for "with" then when you use that tool your coolant is set

just a side note that you will still have to re-pick the coolant option using X style coolant in the operations parameters page its a bug and it has been logged

HTH

I thought it would be easier. I just want to be able to avoid having to click on "with" every time, but it sounds like I have to do a million clicks setting all my tools up that way.

I just don't understand why you can set your default to "on", but not your "before, with, or after". If someone wanted to set the default to on, wouldn't they also want to choose when to turn it on? confused.gif

Thanks for the help, anyhow. You've answered my question. I was just hoping the answer would have been faster to implement.....

for the parts i do having all my ops set to 1 coolant option wouldnt work so maybe thats CNCs way of thinking about it i dont know just guessing

quote:

Go into the operation defaults in the master control defintion and select all the operations. Then right click and edit common parameters. Then go to the coolant option and set it to the one you want the most and then it will change all the operations. I have some set-up for hard metal that are always air blast and others set-up for just coolant that always comes at after.

did you save the defaults and reload the MD you have to hit the save default setting button first then the disk icon or the changes will not stick

HTH

I tried that, no dice.

I can get to the page from the CD. Changed it, clicked "save default", then get a message that I need to save locally, or something. Hit the green check mark, then get a message that I cannot save changes from CD. I must go to MD. So...... I go to MD and click on CD from there. The operations defaults do not show up on left side column. banghead.gifbanghead.gif

R&D the likely reason you only have the on/off option is because your MD is set to use old-style coolant, not X-style.

Go to the coolant tab in your MD and uncheck "Support coolant using value in post-processor".

Now when you set the op defaults, you should see the X-style coolant options. (before, with, and after)

HTH

quote:

Go to the coolant tab in your MD and uncheck "Support coolant using value in post-processor".

Just gave it a shot. Now, I'm starting to feel like a complete moron. I cannot get anything to work. Did the above, got error warning machine not compatible with....blah.blah.blah....

While cruising the coolant posts, I found someone who said, It's just coolant. It should not be this complicated. Duh....

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm about ready to give up and deal with the extra click, cause I'm starting to feel like "Coolant" is way over my head!

Gonna go back to bumbling my way through post editing rolleyes.gif

R&D - the warning is to tell you the tool library is set to use different coolant codes than the MD.

You are probably using tool's step, peck, and coolant.

You can turn that off or change the coolant codes for the tool library.

Here's a quick way to change all tools in a library to use your coolant settings.

X4 Coolant Problem

If you still have headaches getting this done, I'll walk you through it.

[ 08-28-2009, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Mastercam Guru ]

Aha! I found that same bug. I never noticed it before.

Here's how I get coolant settings to "stick"

Don't bother using op defaults for coolant. NFG.

Set the type of coolant codes you want to use in the MD (uncheck "Support coolant using value in post-processor" for X-coolant) and pick the tool library you want the MD to use as default.

Set use tool's step, peck, and coolant in op defaults.

Then make sure coolant is turned on in the tool library.

As mentioned above, there is a quick, easy way to set a tool library's coolant to your preferences without doing them one at a time.

Follow the link above for this.

I just followed these steps in order, and coolant is "on - with" on all tools for me.

Working fine.

quote:

guru

you are using the tools "coolant"? from tool

Yup, its the only way I could get coolant to "stick".

The MD and Tool's coolant type have to match, and use tool's step, peck, and coolant has to be checked in the op defaults.

I export the tool library to a text file and open it up in Cimco.

I do a search and replace for line 11.

Replace

11 - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

with

11 - 4101 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

for "coolant on with".

These are coolant codes for X-style coolant.

Old style coolant codes are on line 7, and are a pain to edit. Search and replace is like 4 clicks, done. smile.gif

i have all my tools setup for X style coolant and it dont always stick.....yours does?

quote:

r&d

the easiest way to set that up is have your coolant "defaults" set with your tool and change coolant settings to "from tool" and have the tools set for "with" then when you use that tool your coolant is set

just a side note that you will still have to re-pick the coolant option using X style coolant in the operations parameters page its a bug and it has been logged

r&d

so this is how you will have to set it up

• 7 years later...

Digging up this old thread because I had the same problem in Mastercam 2017. Switching to coolant "from tool" is not a solution. What is desired is to have a default for Before, With, or After when using coolant from operation defaults. Fortunately, it is possible. The solution seems basic enough that I expect it would work on much older versions of Mastercam as well.

When you are setting operation parameters for a toolpath, if it is a newer-style toolpath then there will be a save button in the upper left corner. Clicking that button will save your Before, With, After settings for any coolant that is set to On or Off. If it is ignored, the Before, With, After won't be saved. If it is an old-style toolpath that doesn't have the save button, just right-click anywhere on the "Toolpath parameters" page and choose "Save parameters to defaults file".

So the capability to save that setting is there, and leaving that capability out of the control definition manager was apparently an oversight, and it has been that way for at least seven years now so there is not much hope that it will ever be fixed. It is a pain to work around, but it's easier than making your own Mastercam from scratch. Just work with what you've got, and remember that if you ever change the default operation from the control definition, you will probably have to save it this way again to regain your coolant setting.

Here is the method I used for setting the same coolant default for several operations:

Open a new file in Mastercam

Select a machine

Skip the following steps if you are sure of your default operations filename:

<begin steps to skip>

Open the Control Definition Manager

Choose "Operation Defaults" in the tree on the left

Make note of the exact file name for your defaults file. (It will be shown above the toolpath manager in the control definition.)

Close the control definition manager

<end steps to skip>
Right-click in toolpath manager
Click "Import..."
Under "Source library" click the open folder button
In the file name box, type * and press enter
Be sure to choose the file that is specified as the default operations file in the control definition.
    (The changes will not necessarily be saved to the file that you choose now.)
    (They will be saved to the file specified in the control definition.)
Click "Open"
Hold down the control key and click all of the operations you want to edit.
Click the + button.
It will import the operations and give you a success message.
Click the X button
Now hold control and select all the operations that you want to have the same coolant setting.
Then right-click and choose "Edit selected operations" then "Edit common parameters..."
Hit the checkbox next to coolant and make your settings
(Look, the Before With After options are there!)
Then close the dialogs.
Now to save your changes, open the parameters window for each toolpath and save it to the defaults file using either the save button or the right-click menu, as mentioned in the second paragraph in this text.

Digging up this old thread because I had the same problem in Mastercam 2017. Switching to coolant "from tool" is not a solution. What is desired is to have a default for Before, With, or After when using coolant from operation defaults. Fortunately, it is possible. The solution seems basic enough that I expect it would work on much older versions of Mastercam as well.

When you are setting operation parameters for a toolpath, if it is a newer-style toolpath then there will be a save button in the upper left corner. Clicking that button will save your Before, With, After settings for any coolant that is set to On or Off. If it is ignored, the Before, With, After won't be saved. If it is an old-style toolpath that doesn't have the save button, just right-click anywhere on the "Toolpath parameters" page and choose "Save parameters to defaults file".

So the capability to save that setting is there, and leaving that capability out of the control definition manager was apparently an oversight, and it has been that way for at least seven years now so there is not much hope that it will ever be fixed. It is a pain to work around, but it's easier than making your own Mastercam from scratch. Just work with what you've got, and remember that if you ever change the default operation from the control definition, you will probably have to save it this way again to regain your coolant setting.

Here is the method I used for setting the same coolant default for several operations:

Open a new file in Mastercam

Select a machine

Skip the following steps if you are sure of your default operations filename:

<begin steps to skip>

Open the Control Definition Manager

Choose "Operation Defaults" in the tree on the left

Make note of the exact file name for your defaults file. (It will be shown above the toolpath manager in the control definition.)

Close the control definition manager

<end steps to skip>

Right-click in toolpath manager

Click "Import..."

Under "Source library" click the open folder button

In the file name box, type * and press enter

Be sure to choose the file that is specified as the default operations file in the control definition.

(The changes will not necessarily be saved to the file that you choose now.)

(They will be saved to the file specified in the control definition.)

Click "Open"

Hold down the control key and click all of the operations you want to edit.

Click the + button.

It will import the operations and give you a success message.

Click the X button

Now hold control and select all the operations that you want to have the same coolant setting.

Then right-click and choose "Edit selected operations" then "Edit common parameters..."

Hit the checkbox next to coolant and make your settings

(Look, the Before With After options are there!)

Then close the dialogs.

Now to save your changes, open the parameters window for each toolpath and save it to the defaults file using either the save button or the right-click menu, as mentioned in the second paragraph in this text.

Mastercam wasn't really designed for you to edit the "Operation Defaults" through the Operations Manager. Your method works in 2017 because the option to "save to the defaults file" was recently added.

The proper way to go about doing this is to edit the "Defaults" File. The easiest way to do this is by "renaming" the Defaults file from ".Defaults" to ".MCAM". (That's right, a "Dot Defaults" file is really just a Mastercam file with a different File Extension.)

Now, open up the "defaults" file as a Mastercam File, and you can edit all aspects of the Operation Default Values.

The first thing I do is to "replace" the default Machine Definition with the Machine Definition that I really want to pull the default values from. Then, you'll have the actual Coolant Defaults for your Real Machine available. Then I go through each Operation and make the changes I want to see.

• Like 2

Mastercam wasn't really designed for you to edit the "Operation Defaults" through the Operations Manager. Your method works in 2017 because the option to "save to the defaults file" was recently added.

The proper way to go about doing this is to edit the "Defaults" File. The easiest way to do this is by "renaming" the Defaults file from ".Defaults" to ".MCAM". (That's right, a "Dot Defaults" file is really just a Mastercam file with a different File Extension.)

Now, open up the "defaults" file as a Mastercam File, and you can edit all aspects of the Operation Default Values.

The first thing I do is to "replace" the default Machine Definition with the Machine Definition that I really want to pull the default values from. Then, you'll have the actual Coolant Defaults for your Real Machine available. Then I go through each Operation and make the changes I want to see.

That's a handy bit of info. Thank you.

• Like 1

As usual Colin is a genius. :unworthy:

Now this might be a little harder. On the Haas machines we have they can spool up to 12k. But with thru tool coolant turned on they are limited to 10k. Is there a way to make this relative to each other or should I put in a feature request?

You could put in an enhancement request for this, but based on the mountain of requests that CNC has in front of them, I'm afraid something like this would be buried in the bottom or middle, and never see the light of day.

I'd add a warning message to your post to detect spindle speeds over 10K RPM, with "Thru Coolant on", and alert you (the programmer) that that there is an issue. I'd also add logic to the 'coolant on' block to do the following:

1. Test value of "thru coolant on".
  2. When "on", I'd do the following:
    1. Save current "Max RPM setting"
    2. Set Max RPM Setting to 10K
  3. When "off", I'd do the following:
    1. Test "current" vs. "saved" Max RPM
    2. If current is less than saved, restore
  • 5 years later...