Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can not drill a hole straight

CNC-ERIC

Hi,there,

2.35mm dia, 20mm deep hole on plastic(PET-P).

First,I use 2.30mm solid carbid drill goes to 9.5mm, then use 2.35mm solid carbid drill peck to 20mm, rpm 3037 feed 10.5in/m, the holes I measured are not straight, off 0.05mm,I did not use coolant,is this a problem?I notice the drill bit very hot.

thanks

eric

Agreed with everything said thus far.

Getting the speed and feed just right is the key with plastics.

I do alot of 5-axis swarf milling on polycarbonate lenses. If the speed and feed is just right, you get a great finish and you hardly even have to deburr the edges. A bit too slow or fast on the speed / feed and the tool either loads up, or you get chatter marks.

Unfortunately, it's all trial and error to find the ideal speed / feed for any particular job.

banghead.gif

One thing I will say for sure is that I have had the best results using high helix drills and end mills. They seem to pull the chips away quicker so they don't load up on the tool. wink.gif