Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe software recomendations

Leigh @ Kodiak

We have just purchased a Haas TL-4 lathe. I have programmed and worked on lathes in the past, but never programmed them in Mastercam before.

I have read here before about some of the MC Lathe shortcomings, and am just wondering if their are any 3rd party ad-ons or c-hooks that others would recommend? I am calling to get a quote for MC Lathe today, and I am just thinking that if their are any essential ad-ons, it will be best to try and get them included in the quote now, rather than wait till later down the road and try to get extra money spent.

Thanks in Advance!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Programming for uo to multi spindle single turret lathe I would not mind reccommending Mastercam. Once you add multiple turrets, synching becomes a chore and is better handled in other software.

quote:

it will make minced iron out of the TL....

Not that this is such a tall order, but I agree that the Lathe product is adequate for single-turret, single spindle applications and can be made to work fairly well on subspindle machines with one turret; we make a lot of money with it for sure.

C

i programm a single turret with 2 spindles and c-axis or a 4axis lathe (XYZB) pretty easily with mastercam

i only got to edit my G-code for some specific applications like part catcher and bar feeder

X4 seem to handle the lathe module a little better than the older versions on complex part with milling on main and sub spindle

Ok, so the Haas sales guy has the higher ups pretty sold on the Hass capabilities to program at the machine.

I don't exactly aspire to standing at a controller punching in code, so I wonder if some of you might have some advantages for buying the MC module over programming at the control.

This is of course besides the obvious one of offline programming.

quote:

so I wonder if some of you might have some advantages for buying the MC module over programming at the control.

because the machine is not making chips while

someone is standing at the control punching code.

because the control can't solve complex geomteric

problems

because lathe is cheap if you already own mill..

All great points, but:

quote:

because the machine is not making chips while

someone is standing at the control punching code.

This is the "obvious" one I already mentioned wink.gif

quote:

because the control can't solve complex geomteric problems

I'm not sure about this one. The new Haas controls have that DXF import function. Now sure exactly how it works, but it may solve that issue.

quote:

because lathe is cheap if you already own mill..

At almost 1/2 the price of mill level 1, it's not THAT cheap!

quote:

Also, if you program it in MC, you can post it for ANY machine after. You also have a better place to store programs and make changes.

Irrelevant, as we will only have one lathe.

I am just trying to respond as I expect management would. Keep throwing them at me, cause I really want to be able to Justify the purchase of Lathe to the management.

quote:

Changes after the job has run

Similar parts

If the uptime difference doesn't sell offline programming, which is asinine by the way, then these should.

We make a lot of parts that share tooling, some geometry, etc: just save the proven file with a new name, drop in some new geometry, rechain, and program is done. Proven speeds, feeds, DOC, stock allowances, etc are quickly transferred from one job to the next.

Part is changed: you grab the proven file, change the geometry, regen, and you're up and running again.

Editing code and cutting and pasting certainly has its place, but sucks and is not efficient for large changes, new parts, etc.

MC X4 will do a fine job on the TL I have used it quite a bit with a good Haas Lathe post (that is the key, getting your MC dealer to get you a good post for a HAAS lathe and it's specific G-Code)

It's unfortunate that your local HFO isn't getting the job done with the training. I spent 3 years doing Haas training for one of the larger HFO's in the country, and in 3 days of training (One TL Lathe Operator 1 day class and one 2-day Haas Turning center programming class) and you can pretty much cover the basics of "Real World" machining on a TL Lathe.

The capability of the TL is it is a 2 axis turning center without a turret. 80% of the parts you can do on that machine could be programmed on the machine. Turning centers have a series of nice canned cycles that can cover just about every Type I roughing part out there.

If doing Type II roughing (candlestick holder looking parts, or dumb-bell looking parts) then MC can be a real help.

And oh yea, don't let the TL fool you, I have set up a few that can out produce turning centers at 5x the cost. YOU CAN do live tooling with it (just need a air or electirc driven tool) and using gang tooling you can make parts faster than a turrett (no cycle time wasted when changing tools with gang tooling)

For secondary ops (drill / spot / chamfer etc) where a robot or automation was used we setup a TL with air chuck and a custom built gang tool plate.

The part only needed about 700 RPM, and with the we could spot / drill / tap the part quicker since we had no tool changes.

Looks like I am just gonna have to go the route of programming at the control for now. All these points you guys have given me, I will be sure to point out to management when they arise.

The good news: We are getting the 10 station tool turret with the TL-4 (phew!) and I also think I convinced management to spend the money saved on MC Lathe on a tool-setter/spindle probe package for our VF-6 biggrin.gif

Leigh - The proge is well worth it, ans so you know you can use full Renishaw Macros with it also, you are not just limited to Haas's macros. DO NOT GET THE MARPOSS probe package, spend the extra $500 for the Renishaw, the software on the Marposs still has allot of bugs in it.

TL-4, that thing is a BIG lathe (8" thru hole and I think 1500 ft lbs of torque, and other than a Okuma LOC-1 (Lathe-Oil Country) you are looking at something custom built for big parts.