Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 Upgrade - Opinions

Georgi Baltov

Hi guys,

we are considering getting X4 on two computers in our company. I am not really sure when it came out and how long you've had to evaluate it.

We currently have the X2 and it's running great but as we are going to get a second seat then we will upgrade to the latest X4 as well. Are we still going to be able to use our old post files or that has to be changed? I have heard of some bugs as for any new program. They should't be anything serious, right?

Welcome to the forum Georgi. cheers.gif

Honestly, jumping from X2 to X4 will be a big adjustment to begin with. Your old posts should be easily converted, so that shouldn't be a problem.

We've heard that a maintenance upgrade for X4 is due to be released soon. If I were you, I would wait and get the X4MU1 version. Yes, there were some reported issues with the initial release of X4, which is to be expected with ANY new software. From what I've read here on the forum of late, the maintenance update addresses most if not all of the issues. biggrin.gif

It's a great upgrade, i cannot express my love for dynamic pocketing.

I would also wait for MU1 to be released or you will just need to install that in a week or so.

Posts should not be that huge an issue. Note that if your posts are not written that well, new error checking in X4 will make you aware of the errors that used to be "silent" and you will have to fix them. Contrary to what i have heard, this is a great thing. Now we actually know something is wrong, and you avoid posing bad code.

I think that you 1 year free maintenance (well may be not free but in the quote price) so if we like the quote from our reseller then we are going to get it. I believe that's what happened the first time with X2 as well.

I wonder why they released such an unstable version. They have been pretty good with X2 and we will skip X3 so I don't know how it went there. Were there a lot of new features added to X4?

Can you still run X2 and have X4 as well? If there are some bugs that need MU then at least I will not hold production.

quote:

Can you still run X2 and have X4 as well? If there are some bugs that need MU then at least I will not hold production.

Yes do a side by side install....but make sure

you install X4 in a folder called 'McamX4'.

and make sure you check that all your directories in config/files are pointing there. for what ever

the reason the install does not always do this for

you.

Then you can update/import your tool libraries,

etc. to X4

"DO NOT MIGRATE ANYTHING"