Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 MU1 Crash Regenerating Toolpath

Thee Rickster ™

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I just hit an all time fustration today! Just got done working a 100hr week using Unigraphics with out a single crash.

I was working on a program a week ago in Mastercam and the file was complete and wrapped up. Just opened it up and got a .....

---------------------------

Warning

Corrupt or Invalid file. Contact your local Mastercam dealer

OK

My back up is only half of the program, because I only back up when saving for the day.

My customer wants to run the program tomorrow morning.....Does anyone feel my pain.

The only thing that I am wondering is will the MU1 service pack fix this? Have not installed it yet and was waiting to hear what everyone else was saying about it.

PS ONE MORE SLEEPLESS NIGHT!

Jamey

X4

quote:

My back up is only half of the program, because I only back up when saving for the day.

Set up the Backup uitlity.

Its a submenu of Files in System Config..

It you run the Backup Utility with default settings, you'll have the last 10 Saves in your backup folder.

Shawn, I have X2, X3 and X4 side by side on this machine.

Its every time you get a MR Or MU you HAVE TO uninstall first, registry clean, defrag, add ram, uninstall/reinstall vid drivers or get a new video card, reinstall, then add the MU update so it seems? banghead.gif

Maybe its all the 3rd party software compatibility??

It should be right in the MU install procedure, to

uninstall the software 1st before you lose it, with crashes.

Then pray.

I've got V9 X2 X3 and X4 on my box at work.

All of them work OK, though its been a LONG time

since I even launched X2.

I work exclusivly in X4.. I'd uninstall

X2 and 3, but I'm scared I'd break something

biggrin.gif

As a beta tester, I install and uninstall Mastercam products on a regular basis.

I usually run CCleaner after an uninstall, and I never use migration.

All our posts and machine def's are on the network, so its no big deal to delete the entire

install folder... I ususally do that when I uninstall too.

Back in V9 days I used to just drop my old config file into my new install and never had a problem. You can't do this any more...

Its a real pain, but I build a new config file from scratch every time.

Its OK to drag and drop toolbar and right mouse button files, but the config gets built fresh.. every time.

I hate to say this, but migration just flat doesn't work.. it has caused me huge problems every time I've tried it and now I'm snake bit.

I just grit my teeth and do it the hard way.

My sincere apologies to the guys and gals busting thier butts on migration, but it is what it is.

Here is the thing with the back-up I use it when programming the part then when complete I delete all the back up files. All those files take up space and why should I have to keep them around.

I use ccleaner and did a fresh install w a new hard drive and my 6-8 crashes a day went away. So, with that in mind I was saving less back ups and let my guard down.

It is what it is.......

Jamey

sorry Rickster late to the party as usual...

Well as far as page size settings are concerned ya what Evil said.

To get a good peak and total usage, you will have to monitor it for a couple days.

I'm no guru by a long shot, but what I do if I am having performance issues with a particular piece of software is to run it in window mode so I can see the task manager and the program, in this case MC.

Then I would pretty much go through the motions while observing the page file usage, peak, and total memory usage.

The numbers will fluctuate. If you are not running a RAID array you can tell you are paging by the HDD led will just come on and stay on. That's a pretty good indication.

Otherwise you just have to go by the numbers in the task manager.

Looks to me you have plenty of RAM, but if ALL extra RAM is allocated to MC then when XP needs more it will have to call on the page file and that will cause problems with performance in a lot of cases. So you need a big chunk of spare RAM for XP to grap when it needs it.

I would turn my allocations in MC down until I saw the page file not getting used so much.

Another thing no one ever does is to defrag the pagefile.

Now you can get a utility for it if ya want, but I just set it to none and then defrag the partition it was in then turn it back on again.

With the massive amounts of memory installed these days, I might even try turning the page completly off...

Dunno just some stuff you might try to increase performance.

I think you have the crash thing figured out...

But this sorta thing just shouldnt happen at all...ever...

The problems I am having with the Opereation Manager is when I reopen a clean file, one or more of the Toolpath Group becomes a Machine Group with a different mmd and ctrl, and the original Machine Group is gone ...

I have to make a Machine Group, then new Toolpath Group and copy the operations to it, delete the corrupted Machine group ...

This has happen to several different files at least 3 to 4 times a day ... bonk.gif

I am really getting tired of this, the rotate and translate, and the WCS Solid to STL problems ... mad.gif