Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

shake the tree

drewgh20

Am I the only one who finds the new toolpath "tree" a step backwards in terms of how many clicks it takes to generate a toolpath. I'm constantly going back to the tree on the left to pick a parameter page then having to click again to turn it on (tip comp, lead in, multi passes, depth cuts.) I preferred the old X3 interface where cut parameters were all on on page. I've already sent a rant to HQ, just seems like the new interface was given to the intern who has never programmed an actual part. bonk.gif

This was hotly debated on the beta forums..

For the most part the number of clicks required to do something is the same or less..

Its just different and takes getting used to.

I like it now and find it more productive.

The Quick View setting window is useful but need to be bigger and have more info..

like comp staus (off, wear , left right etc)

and the whole page need to be bigger or allow the user to drag it to suit.

I use MISC alot and its maddening to have to scroll down to find it.

Everything should be available without scrolling.

I hate it also. In X3 I used to like the tip comp button right there as a visual reminder to set it correctly. With the tree, I have to remind myself to go there & set it. I also have never needed to change the toolpath type, i.e. drill, circle mill etc...

Quick view would be more useful if the user could configure it for each toolpath type so it shows what is most needed.

+1000 on the eye candy comment. Unless you are going to "Programming School" the lead-in/out and all the other stuff is annoying.

Does anyone notice that it takes a LONG time to bring up the operation parameters page? I sit for 2 or 3 seconds to see mine come up.

Scott

linking parameters are after depth cuts, which is totally aS s backwards.

83% of users find x4 dilalogs slower to open! Vote now!

over the last few years benchmark regen times have gone from 10-15 minutes down to 1-2 min range, but the time it takes to open a basic Windows dialog box has increased greatly.

wtf (x) 3 steps forward, (x) 4 steps back.

My main gripes are: the tip comp taking 2 clicks to turn back on, lead in/out taking 3 clicks to turn back on and the linking parameters and cut parameters being 2 separate pages. For me it's all about how many clicks it takes to accomplish the task. Yeah the stupid graphics don't do anything to me. I know what fields do what. Hey! I actually look at the program before it goes to the machine.

I like the idea of a bigger/scaleable page which has more/all fields on it so I can scan and toggle off and on with one click without having to go page by page, back and forth. Boy, if this was hotly debated in the beta forum, I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of HUGE graphics and putting all the fields on different pages. Anybody?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'd like it if it looked like this...

l_d6462e0490c547118e6b29affd974271.jpg

I SO DO NOT like the tree layout. It is just not logical. IDGAF if there are fewer mouse clicks. The layout SUCKS! The more I use it the irritated I get with it. Now I'm not going to thrown the baby out with the bathwater, but it just adds to the issues IMHO.

Tree style layouts are very useful where applicable. I’m not sure it’s applicable here or at least how it’s been designed.

It’s somewhat like everything else in the world…...

A new idea comes out and everyone jumps to it even if it makes sense or not.

Reminds me of “lean manufacturing” when a bunch of guys (with masters degrees) that have never been on the shop floor are trying to convince me that making a $1.00 part 10 at a time is lean….LMAO…

BTW, no offense to anyone with a degree (I have one), the comment is directed to school without experience cool.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...a new idea comes out and everyone jumps to it...

That all important feature of looking like everyone else. I like the tree, I just don't like how it's organized. There's NO flow, the "branches" can be combined. There's a lot that could be done to improve it. But alas my spidey senses are telling me this is a "marketing" decision and they apparently are the gods at CNC. frown.gif

Well, I'm hoping to create enough unrest here that the tree that it is cut down and the supposed marketing decision is overturned. Anybody reading "Shopclass as SOulcraft?" It's exactly what he's talking about, as if my hands have been cutoff, My programming tools hidden in the branches of a stupid marketing tree.

what gets is is the apply button, WTF

now we have to apply AND ok ?

I've had more than once, stock to leave not stick becauce i forgot to APPLY rolleyes.gif

Its like reading a pop-up book. click a button and watch the eye candy ( eye sore)

the only place I half/arse like it is in the HSS toolpaths. dont know how many times I couldn't figure out why my drill depths where off. OH got to branch open the tip comp. mad.gif

quote:

The part I don't understand is that we have to use both interfaces.

The tree interface was introduced with the new high feed toolpaths.

They migrated the contour, pocket and drilling

toolpaths in X4.

I'm guessing they will migrate the legacy surfacing toolpaths in X5.

X5 is in development now. If you want changes, this is the time to ask.

Send suggestions to [email protected]

My personal ehancement request is to make it

possible to drag the whole window bigger.

All of the options available in the tree should be visible without scrolling.

Hello gcode,

I appreciate the response. Mastercam actually works very good for me and I like it but I have been hoping for Toolholders since I starting with it in V8. I wear myself out creating custom tools which is why I want the new interface in all the paths. I think that they will change/improve a few things in the interface along the way and people will get used to it. I am sure it will end up being a good thing in the end.

I have contacted QC and I believe that they are working on it and planning for it. It does look like we must wait a little longer so I hope we get it in X5.

Mike

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

The change that I would like the most is to not work on a future release until they can get the current release working properly.

Sorry but I gotta wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. If companies had that mentality, we just might still be driving Model T's, we'd possibly still be using MS-DOS, or worse... What about when INTEL had the 15 decimal place error in the Pentuim Chip??? They could not fix that chip. They had to move forward to fix it. NOTHING is perfect. What is perfect to you may be flawed IMHO. Ok, so you didn't say perfcect, you said "properly". X4 MU1 works "properly" for me. So who is the measuring stick for "proper"?

FYI I voted 3 times in the poll. Once NO, once Yes, and Once NO again. So... it's possible that a few members have bumped up the numbers to support their position. MOST of the guys I'm talking to ARE NOT having issues with X4 MU1. I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin.