Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

trimming to surface or curves

mfilleti

I'm having a hard time trimming a flat surface to a curve or to a surface. I keep getting the "cannot trim surface, selected curves do not form a closed boundary" message. I've tried extending the two surfaces until they extend beyond eachother before trimming, but I still have had no luck. Any suggestions.

That is all

Matt eek.gif

quote:

"cannot trim surface, selected curves do not form a closed boundary"

This is the dreaded catch-all error message for trimming surfaces, I HATE it! It tells you nothing useful!! Sorry for the rant but there are reasons for an unsuccessful trim and this message doesn't help at all.

Generally surface trims work better with curves than other surfs. Extend your curves beyond the underlying untrimmed surface for best results. Sometimes you have to untrim the surface and retrim to new curves. Trimming works better in the 'construction plane' option than 'normal' to the surface. When possible, trim to a 'plane', this works good. Sometimes when it won't trim in 'top' view it will in 'bottom' view (view #4). Try, try, try anything, you can get it.

Good luck, you need it!!!

BerTau smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

THE GUYS COVERED MOST OF THE PITFALLS BUT ONE THING WAS NOT STRESSED ENOUGH. THE CONSTRUCTION PLANE THAT YOU AR IN WHEN YOU MAKE THE TRIM MAKES A BIG DIF!! oops caps again. try makeing the same trim in top and side and you will see what i mean. sometimes you can make things better by projecting the curve onto the surface you are trying to trim, but there again that is driven by the const. plane you do it in.

Imagine that first surface (that looks like a reverse u shape in section = not a closed contour) intersect the second one in the middle of it. The system doesn't know what to do with the area below the u shape on the second surface. I would use /create /curve /intersection/options/ extend surface/ to make sure that the system could trim areas that are not intersected by extending the curve to the edge of the second surface.

If the surface is already trimmed and it has a hole in the middle, you will have to untrim it, trim the surface first with an open contour extended over the edges of the surface to trim. After that, trim the surface back with the closed boundary. Hope it makes sense to you.

[ 08-21-2002, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Mariana Lendel ]

• 12 years later...