Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC Machining from .STL files

mdlmkr

Is there any practical method to fully machine a part from an .stl file? If so, can it be done as efficiently as from say a Parasolid or other usual file formats used in Mastercam?

I have been tasked with fully exploring the practical application of machining directly from .stl files in our shop and have quickly discvered that I cannot find any method at all to contour, pocket or drill holes from these files. Does anyone here have experience with the process?

Currently using Mastercam X4 MU2

While some surface machining can be done. an stl file really has no geometric data associated with it.

So as an stl, it is for the most part useless unless it is converted into surfaces.

Verisurf "might" be able to do this.

If you can get surfaces on it, then you "may" be able to get geometry to do some 2D machining.

Otherwise, it is a waste of time. If I could get a parasolid instead of the stl, that would be the BEST way to go.

Otherwise there is a lot of work involved in the way you're trying to go.

quote:

what benefit would an .stl file be for MasterCam

In my opinion, none

Mastercam makes horrible stl files so using them as stock is spotty at best and difficult once the size and complexity grow.

Again, sure you can run surface paths over it but what good is that if you have 2D features that need machining.

Just a bad idea

I'm approaching this with an open mind because I have been asked to fully explore the practicality of .stl's in Mastercam. I'm trying to evaluate the pros and cons of their use. I have used them succesfully in verify, but that has been the only place I have found it to be useful so far in MasterCam.

can't you open the .stl file in mastercam, then change it to surfaces, and then program? I'm asking because we just bought a probe thing-e attached to some arm thing-e running on some program thing-e. All I was told was I would be receiving .stl files and would be able to machine surfaces right from them. haven't tryed yet, but i'm starting to get worried.

I can succesfully open an .STL file in MasterCam, no problem there. The problem is there arren't any edge curves, surfaces, solids or other geometry information that I would normally use for toolpath creation. I have not been able to find a method to create surfaces or edgecurves on the .STL, or a method of converting back to any other file format.

You can open an STL file to use for toolpaths. But when you open the file, you select "import as STL Mesh" - this option button is located on the file open dialog box. When you are ready to select geomety for a toolpath, you select the STL Mesh.

Note: If you imported the STL as Lines, you will not be able to use it as "surfaces". (Techinally you do not change it to surfaces - you use it as is - an STL Mesh entity.)