Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hasp for home

moldbuilder

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my last job, SolidWorks and NX5 licenses

were located on a coperate network hub in South Carolina. Running the program in SoCal, 3000

miles away, you couldn't tell the difference.

I'm surprised people aren't setting up license hubs and renting access to people/companies via the internet.

It probably violates the licensing agreement for

all CAD/CAM software, but there is no techological

reason it couldn't be done.

quote:

Chris.. I have to take issue with this..

If you are accessing the nethasp via a VPN tunnel,

you are running the app on the computer at home.

Only license inquiries travel back and forth over the internet.. everything else is running

on the home computer.

I've never tried this with Mastercam, but

Vericut rocks on my Win7x64 workstation at home.

Ahh but we're talking about a HASP, not a NetHASP smile.gif

This has been done by customers with NetHASPs doing exactly what Tom stated, but it is not a supported method.

A word of caution about Remote Desktop...

This has long been a HUGE security flaw in Windows. eek.gif

I don't know if it has been addressed in Windows 7, but an IT professional friend of mine told me it's risky to use it in up to and including Windows XP.

He told me that when you have Remote Desktop enabled it is akin to leaving your front door wide open. You may not get robbed, but you sure are taking a risk. wink.gif

quote:

I use it thru a VPN, I think that's a different story.

You may be correct there, Dave.

I'm not 100% sure.

All I know is that a friend of mine works in the IT department for a giant insurance company, and he told me that someone compromised their network in his branch office. They did some forensic computer checking and found that someone in their office had Remote Desktop enabled so they could do some work from home. When they traced the intruder's activity, they found that the intruder gained entry to the company net through that particular terminal.

Luckily, the intruder only poked around a bit, then left without doing any damage. My friend was relieved because that could have been a major incident if they started downloading files or deleting stuff. eek.gif

He said after that incident, they tightened their corporate policy to exclude the use of Remote Desktop on ANY of their computers. wink.gif

Coincidentally, his branch office has had no intrusions since. biggrin.gif

quote:

You may be correct there, Dave.

I'm not 100% sure.

Many people run remote desktop just thru the net. When you have a VPN (and I have a VPN firewall router) you need to first get passed that piece of hardware, via the VPN.

I have the same hardware at my home and business and I can tell you it's sometimes a challenge to set up even when you know the settings. Pretty tough to break in.

• 2 months later...

quote:

The best way to do this is convert your companies SIMS to a nethasp. Then you can access the sim via a VPN tunnel from home. I do this with my employeer's Vericut, NX and Catia licenses. I don't bother with Mastercam because I own my own sim.

We have a nethasp and I have been trying for awhile for a way to access it from home. Is there any documentation anywhere explaining how to set this up? This would be HUGE for me. cheers.gif

quote:

A word of caution about Remote Desktop...

This has long been a HUGE security flaw in Windows

Hmmmm, this works just fine in mac OS X wink.gif

With windows xp it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Yea you can break into it but it's time consuming and you'd know. It would slow your connection down to almost nothing. Plus, how are people gonna know you're using it? Unless you're already infected hackers (script kiddies) aren't gonna know what you're doing or even bother looking for ya.

But I do like your linux tinfoil hat methodology of security biggrin.gif

quote:

I have tried to run mastercam through log me in from home but it gives me an error that it can't find the sim. I only have a single user sim. does that mean it won't work at all remotely or do i need to do something?

are you trying to run MC @ home?that you can not do but you remote in on your work computer and run MC on that.