Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas probing and macro question

Bruce Caulley

Ahoy!

I am spending the next few months at a place that is all Haas (GROAN biggrin.gif ) and some of them have a renishaw probe installed. I have had a play and have no problem using it for work offsets etc, but would like to be able to do some in cycle measurement and tool diameter/length adjustments.

Eg, I have a bore that is 50mm +/- 0.005mm and am using a 16mm EM to interpolate it using control comp. I would like to take a pass, probe the bore, send the size to a variable, calculate the offset change necessary, if any, and then recut and re-measure until the size is in limit.

Does anyone have an example of how to send the probed value to a variable in a programme?

BTW, not using MC for this.

Any help appreciated.

Bruce

I apologize if you already know this, but if you go to the Haascnc web site under the customer service tab there is a section for manual updates. The newest mill manual is Rev Y dated December 2009.

A search found several references on probes and how to save and use the local variables in a macro. I think this would be real handy once you get it figured out, but I doubt that an ideal Haas in an ideal environment could consistantly hold that tolerance.

Bruce,

.0039" total tolerance by automation in measurement at the machine?

Don't get me wrong, but I think you are asking for a lot here. More than likley, if you simply re-cut with no offset in diameter, the part will become out of tolerance (spring pass). Example, say you are .0001" too small, I bet if you re-cut you will be too big.

In addition, for most CMM's, it's a challenge to measure .0002" total tolerance with good accuracy so I think what you are trying to do won't be very practical on the machine.

I would be interested in hearing about your results, please post them. It sounds like a fun experiment.

quote:

I have a bore that is 50mm +/- 0.005mm and am using a 16mm EM to interpolate it using control comp.

Bruce I see a few issues here,

1 - Can the HAAS actually cut a round hole to that tolerance? Will it be round to 10um

2 - Where will you probe the hole? If you use the probe at +x -x +y -y then the result may not be correct as this is the 4 quadrant points of the cirle, This area will have the greatest error as it is where the servo's have to reverse direction and hold the tolerance. I would think that the hole will give a different result if measured at 45° to the x axis.

If you only need it for a few months, Renishaw has a free 90 day demo on their CAM software for probing. It worked great with the Haas probes at my last job. I still have the custom post I set up for the Haas while I was there, although their posts are very easy to make the small edits needed. You could generate probe routines and macros to do the inspect/adjust/re-cut set up you are looking for in just minutes. Very user friendly.

http://www.renishaw.com/media/pdf/en/b3a74...cd9f46d9e5f.pdf

• 3 years later...